A Great Week on the Snake River

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

A Great Week on the Snake River

Post by Reel Geezer »

As has been the custom for the past four years, hard working ORCA Sec-Treas. Roger Schulz came out to Idaho in August to visit the White house and the Snake River. As usual, we all had a great time, especially Fudge, who thinks Roger came to visit him.

Monday morning found us on the river bright and early...

This spot was a terrific producer in 2011, but the change in water levels moved some of the fish out. Last year we bagged 24 fish in this one riffle alone.

Before I even had my rods rigged and laid out, Roger started off with a dandy fighting smallmouth on a soft plastic Fluke bait.

Here's a better look at that fish, a very healthy Snake River 14" fish. We ended up catching 54 fish on Monday, with the best ones around 17".

This is the view you get of the river from the top of the rim, after you climb the 12% grade to get out of the canyon.

Due to jet lag and two hours time change a nap was needed in the afternoon.

We alternated between Monday's spot and a four mile stretch of river just downstream on Tuesday and Thursday. Wednesday we had our shore lunch for dinner on our deck. Bass filets and corn on the cob. Yum.

Although we never did top our 17" fish on Monday, we did land many beautiful smallmouth in the 13-16" range. Here Roger shows off a typical 16" Snake River Smallmouth.

The fishing was hot all week, as was the weather. We were out at dawn and quit a bit after noon each day. Our tally for the week was:
Monday = 54 smallmouth
Tuesday = 74 "
Wednesday = 100 "
Thursday = 82 "
Friday = 32 " . This day we had a bit of different fishing. The upstream dam had released a lot of water overnight and the river was choked with floating weeds. We caught most of our fish in deeper water using a drop shot rig.

As we were getting ready to quit on Wednesday, I looked at the counter and saw we had 88 for the day. We decided to try for the century mark. It took another hour for those 12 fish. On the way back to the ramp we hit a floating clump of weeds and clogged the jet intake. We went from 25 MPH to 0 in an instant. Fudge, who loves to ride on the bow vaulted into the air and hit the water with a huge cannonball. The splash soaked both Roger and me. When we got the boat shut down, Fudge was 25 yards upstream dog paddling for all he was worth. He climbed aboard and jumped right back onto his spot on the bow. However, that night he did seem a little exhausted.

The total for the five days of fishing came out to 342 smallmouth. We had no channel cats this year, and couldn't find any sturgeon swimming in shallow water. In all, it was a fun week with lots of good eats and fishing and collecting talk. Roger is a fine guest.
Capt. Kirk
Advanced Board Poster

Re: A Great Week on the Snake River

Post by Capt. Kirk »

Great pics and story! Always enjoy your pics and story's.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Thanks for sharing. Been anticipating the pictures. It's always good to know there are still places in this great country where fishing is still that good. Makes you want to collect a few more rods and reels.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

As usual, a great outing! Phil, thanks for airing out Roger...we need to keep him fresh and invigorated for all that higher orca math! :D
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Once again Phil and Marilyn did a great job as host and hostess. Fudge was a great alarm clock also. Fishing was great as always. Phil's numbers show our great success. What really makes the fishing great is the Snake River is a beautiful place to fish. Very few people around, just Phil, Fudge and myself. Marilyn always make sure that we don't starve. Sweet corn every night and ice cream before we head to bed.

Phil made sure we had enough tackle in the boat. Each of us had 6 rods and reels with various setups. We went through a number of white flukes.

Fudge did a nice flying act. He may be on some TV reality show in the future.

Again, had a great time. We are looking at some possible early May largemouth fishing next year also.

Roger
stonefly
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stonefly »

Fishing dogs are really neat.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

It's warming to see this Summer thread come up again. At the minute the temperature is 9 with snow on the ground. It was -1 last night. Brrrrr. Bring back August.

Incidentally my year end tally came up with over 2000 smallmouth in 2012, with quite a few 18"+ fish. It was a good year. I got my license today and will be back on the river if we get a nice sunny afternoon and temps in the 40's or so.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

In case you guys ever get tired of bass fishing... :shock: