Idaho Largemouth Bass Fishing Report

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Idaho Largemouth Bass Fishing Report

Post by Reel Geezer »

All those photos of those nice fishing trips encouraged me to brag a bit about the lake we live on. Lake Lowell is a 160,000 acre irrigation reservoir that has been a GOOD largemouth fishing reservoir for the 55 years I have lived here. However, this spring it has been sensational. The Idaho Fish & Game Department designated Lake Lowell as a trophy fishery about 10 years ago. They put in a catch and release only except for July through September, when you can take only 2 fish, but none between 12-16". This plan has apparently worked for in the past few years quite a few trophy bass have been taken and the average size seemed to have increased from the 12-14" fish I had been catching in past years.

This spring we had very cold weather until a week or so ago. The lake opened for fishing on April 15, and since that time I have given up the Snake River and been working the lake hard, fishing during the morning or afternoon from my boat, and then wading out front during the evenings. Wading has always been very productive for me for the shore we live on is covered with trees and brush that is up to 6-8 feet deep when the lake is filled in the spring. Here are a few of the results:

This 20" fish was caught wading on April 20. I'd guess its weight at 5 lbs or more. The fish are in wonderful shape and the females have not spawned.

The above fish came out of the bush on the right side of the photo. This is the typical cover I fish while wading:

This fish was 19.5" long and was caught the following evening. As you can see the bait was a swimming Senko rigged weedless.

I took a friend out in the boat on the 25th, and the best I could do was this very fat 19 incher. She came from the outer edge of the trees in a small bull rush patch. I was pitching the Senko to the edge of the cover.

Last evening I caught a large number of fish as they came shallow after the perch and bluegill that are back in the trees. I caught 20 fish in an hour on a small size Chatterbait, with this 20" fish the best one of the evening.

Last night there was a nice sunset as a came off the lake. I noted a pair of jet contrails that produced a V. It must have been in celebration of my victory over the bass.

ORCA's hard working Secretary-Treasurer is coming out here in eight days to sample our Lake Lowell largemouth fishery. I sure hope the weather and the fishing hold up while he's here. He'll have the time of his life if it does. I'll let you know what happens in a couple of weeks.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Idaho Largemouth Bass Fishing Report

Post by Brian F. »

Great fishing, Geeze! I like the jungle fishing. Do you need to look out for snakes, like Bad Bob?
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Hey Phil, that sled gotta third seat! love the color of those cold water fish! :D
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Phil:

I can not believe the beautiful, distinct color of those largemouths. What have they been feeding on? I am ready. It is a hard job, but somebody has to help you catch those fish. Did you let folks know that these fish are walking distance from your house. Hopefully when I am out there fishing, Fudge would be on a couple of pictures since he is the "fish locator."

We will let the smallmouths rest until August.

Roger