Roger and Fudge vs Idaho Largemouth

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Roger and Fudge vs Idaho Largemouth

Post by Reel Geezer »

Marilyn and I left ORCA Sec-Treas Roger Schulz at the Boise airport this morning and he is probably back in Georgia by now. We had a week of good food, lots of BS, reel trading, and most of all - great fishing. The final tally was 208 nice Lake Lowell largemouth in 5 days of fishing. Our best day was Thursday when 62 fish came to the boat in about 8 hours of fishing. Here's a few scenes from the week.

Roger's first fish was this chunky largemouth caught on a small Chatterbait.

This bald eagle watched Roger's casting for a while and gave it one beak down.

Sunrise on Day 2. The weather was great all week.

Sunrise on Day 3. Each day produced calm mornings, but each afternoon we had clouds, wind and thunderstorms roll in.

Each day produced a few more fish and a definite pattern to the fishing. Roger got this nice fish on a small swimming worm. We moved to a new area on Wednesday and found lots of fish and few fishermen.

On day 4 Roger was yanking them before the sun came up. You can see the smartweed emerging. This great bass cover is very dense underwater and produces lots of fish. This day my counter registered 62 fish.

There were some small fish lurking in the smartweed. The buzz bait Roger is holding did the trick for him while the water was calm. I fished my old reliable Herb's Dilly and it was a killer. Probably 40-50% of our fish came on these top water baits.

Fudge loved the outings, especially sharing our muffins and bagels each morning. However, he turned his nose up at Roger's banana. He sneered that bananas are bad luck while fishing.

A lot of nice fish also came from the willows you can see along the shore here. They were in about 3' of water at this time. Irrigation demands will soon have much of this shoreline cover high and dry.

All in all it was a great week. But Fudge is missing his ice cream and cookies, Roger.
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Re: Roger and Fudge vs Idaho Largemouth

Post by robert ellis »

Alright! Roger got to catch some of those gorgeous fish, very happy for you Boys! :D
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, nice...and so much for the banana jinx! I get that nonsense bringing bananas out here tuna fishing with the same results!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Well, you guys blew the banana jinx thing out of the water! Nice fish in a beautiful setting.
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

That's about as good as it gets--2 great guys fishing in awesome surroundings in beautiful weather!
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

It was truly a great week. We had a lot of fun and were able to catch some really nice fish. Fudge kept us honest, Marilyn always makes sure I have more than enough to eat, and Phil was a great fishing buddy.

Will do the Snake River in August for smallmouths.

Roger
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I didn't see this thread before - nice photos, especially the day 4 sunrise
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

I wish I was back in Idaho fishing today. I miss Fudge.

Roger
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Fishing is still good in the lake, but the fish are in full spawning mode with the full moon last night. The smartweed is now thick enough that boats can't get near shore in most places. I have been wading inside the weed beds and still catching quite a few fish. I find it quite interesting that at this time of year my most productive lures are a Hawaiian Wiggler #3 and a Herb's Dilly. Both lures were introduced in the 1930s, with the Dilly being the original buzz bait and the Wiggler the first to have a rubber skirt. Over 50 years of fishing Lake Lowell, I have found these baits come through the smartweed better than anything else.

Roger, Fudge misses his evening snacks and is looking forward to August.