Snake River Smallmouth Bass

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Snake River Smallmouth Bass

Post by Reel Geezer »

This past week the White house and the Snake River played host to a couple of fishing ORCAns. Roger Schulz arrived on Sunday afternoon, August 11, and Dave Erickson joined us on Monday. Fudge welcomed them both and the Snake proved bountiful. Over 250 smallies came to the boat during the week with some really dandy fish. We fished from sunup until a bit after noon Monday through Friday, then drank beer, ate Idaho sweet corn, fish, barbecued pork, burgers, etc, along with fresh tomatoes and cucumbers from our garden. It was a great week that went too fast. Each of our visitors left with a bit of my collection and I think everyone had a great time.

Roger started out on Monday at daylight alone with me, as Dave did not arrive until late afternoon.

For a few moments we thought he had the river record smallie on his Fluke, but it turned out to be a 26" Channel Catfish.

The big fish of the day was this dandy 17" smallmouth.

On Tuesday Dave joined us and both were soon into fish. We had several doubles and a few times when we had three fish on at once. Fudge was not too sure about Dave's hat, however.

Roger and Fudge took a walk on one of the many islands in this section of the Snake. All are federally owned and managed by the USFWS.

Here I instructed Dave on how to make his 16" smallie look like a giant.

However, a few minutes later he didn't need to stretch his arm as a 19.25" beautiful smallmouth gave him a great fight before coming to the net. This was the best fish of the week. It came from about a foot of water near the rushes shown in the background.

An hour or so later I added a pair of dandy 18" and 18.5" fish for our total for this day. Here I show Dave how to hold a fish for a photo with the 18.5 incher. As you can see, Fudge was not impressed.

As I loaded the boat each day Fudge entertained Dave and Roger with his water retrieves. He is a terrific swimmer and won't go home until someone throws his dummy for him.

Friday Dave pulled out to head home to Denver, so Roger and I added a bunch more fish to our total. With this 16" fish that Roger caught we decided to call it quits and end a great week of fishing.

For a while we were complaining that we only caught 250 smallmouth in 5 days, but I guess 50 fish per half day isn't too bad. Both guys are great to share a week with and we sure had lots of fun.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Snake River Smallmouth Bass

Post by Don Champion »

That looks like a lot of fun each time you post those. I envy you guys.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I'm jealous as ever! Glad you guys got such great R&R...and stayed off the 'net the whole week!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I think the fish wait for you all to show up! Looked like a fun trip and good to see ORCAns out fishing.
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

I think we should have the National Convention in Nampa next August!
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

As you can see by the pictures, we had a great time again. That was year number 5 to the Snake River for me and my sixth trip if I add in my May trip this past year. Fishing was great. Phil and Marilyn and Fudge are great folks to spend a week with. We had a lot of good conversations and great food. We went through all of Phil's white flukes, but did catch a lot of fish.

Waiting for next year.

Roger
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

After looking at these pictures again, I wish I was heading back to Idaho to fish with Phil rather than heading to Kentucky for our show. Fishing is less stressful.

Roger Schulz
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Just pretend you are "reelin" em in in Ky. Don't let the stress get to ya!