Rodent Control

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Rodent Control

Post by Reel Addictive »

Dig out your Heddon Meadow Mouse lure and go trout fishing.

http://blog.nature.org/science/2013/02/ ... ing-trout/

Article is a little old, but neat to see the fish taking advantage of rodent population explosion.

William.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Rodent Control

Post by wrong99 »

Where we fish up on the middle fork of the Stanislaus River, the bats appear by the thousands at sundown, skimming the water for the endless supply of mosquitoes. After dark, VERY large Browns also come out, leaping high out of the water to snag the bats. If there's a bright moon out and you just happen to be in the right place, it's something to see!
Mark
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

cool stuff

this is a 22-inch, over 4-lb. endemic Guadalupe bass. May not sound that big, but this fish fills the niche in the TX hill country that brook trout do in the Catskills. She would have blown away the existing state record, which was under 3 lbs then.
I caught her near the vent of a bat cave, and no doubt she got this big eating baby bats that fell in.

The landowners routinely trot-line 40-lb. catfish here.
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

Beautiful Guadalupe bass, Ron! I caught them many Summers in the headwaters of the Comal River, mostly on Jitterbugs and Torpedoes, but nothing that big.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

they're really fast-water fish
When we filmed an episode of KT Diaries, "True Texas Bass", KT was surprised at fast flows I put him on - he said guiding for trout in the Rockies he would never have fished water this fast.
Sure enough, they were right where I told him.

Here's where they're from - cypress tunnels - this is Cibolo Creek with one of only two remaining A-strains protected by an aquifer recharge barrier.
The species is endangered, though not declared so, by genetic dilution from smallmouth stocked in the 70s. TPWD approach is massive stocking in the Guadalupe headwaters, and stocking westward where there are no native bass species. But you can see the Nueces just ain't the same.