Tumbling Tumbleweeds - and a few Smallmouth

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Tumbling Tumbleweeds - and a few Smallmouth

Post by Reel Geezer »

I read about eastern river smallmouth fishermen having problems with leaves on the river during the fall. Here on the Snake we have lots of tumbleweeds blown into the river with each spring storm. The photo below shows the results. They are not a great problem, and do provide some good targets when the fish are up shallow. As you can see, the golden currant bushes are now in bloom.

We have had a stormy, typical spring, but the smallies have been biting. The river has been pretty good since mid February, and in the last couple of weeks they have been moving onto the shallow flats. This nice 19” fish took a Chatterbait about 10 days ago and was one of 20 that day.

A few days ago we had some nasty storms rolling through, but the fish were still biting. Fudge, my canine companion tolerated it OK, so I kept on fishing.This 18” fish topped the bunch that day. It was caught in about 3 foot of water on a spinnerbait.

Life is good… and it’s supposed to get up into the 70’s next week. Yippee!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Tumbling Tumbleweeds - and a few Smallmouth

Post by john elder »

i've been waiting for the tumbleweed storm, Phil! I remember last year or year before they about buried your house, didn't they?!

Nice smallies, BTW!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice fish, Geeze!
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Those smallmouth really look nice. However in a few weeks you will see the great largemouths we will be catching on the reservior accross from Phil's house. I am getting my bags packed for the May trip.

Roger