Roger, Here's Your Picture Fish

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Roger, Here's Your Picture Fish

Post by Reel Geezer »

While talking on the phone yesterday to Roger Schulz, our hard working Secretary-Treasurer, he asked why I hadn’t posted any fish photos recently. He knew I was still spending a few hours each suitable day on the Snake, so where were the fish?

I replied that I had been catching some very nice fish, but none over 18”, which is my definition of a picture fish. He said to post some pictures anyway – he needed a fish fix.

The morning was spent cutting firewood, but then the temperatures started to climb even though the day was cloudy. I ate a quick snack and Fudge and I headed to the river. The water temperature was 43, and the river was very calm and weed free. I eased the boat about 50 feet upstream from the launch ramp and pitched out the small worm on my drop shot rig. It sank into the 10-20 depths and I slowly twitched it along the bottom. Within a minute I felt some weight on the line. There’s no strike or jerk at this time of year, just a slight change of feel when you move the lure. I raised the rod and felt the surge of a hefty fish. Here’s was Roger’s picture fish. When I landed the fish I found it to be 17”, so decided to take a photo and make Roger happy. Here’s that fish.

I landed two more slightly smaller fish in that hole and then moved across the river to another deep, rocky spot. After a few casts I got the same heavy feel to my line and again found a fish on the end. This one stripped line and fought very hard. When I finally got it to the surface I decided I needed the net. I unhooked the fish and laid it on my measuring strip and found this one was a dandy 20” smallmouth.

I caught one more fish in the same area, drifted down with the current for another half hour and found I was getting cold. A storm was blowing in and Fudge said it was time to head for home. It was a good day – 5 fish landed in 2 hours: 2 15 inch, 1 16”, 1 17” and a 20 incher, which is a picture fish anytime.
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Re: Roger, Here's Your Picture Fish

Post by colby sorrells »

Phil,
STOP! You are killing me with those smallmouth. Great fish. Thanks for posting photos. Colby
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Phil

It is a good thing that I inspired you to go out and catch some big fish good enough for picture taking. Those are nice looking fish. Especially the 20 incher. I hope Fudge did not catch a cold being out there. I think you might want to get him a little doggie coat.

Roger
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Great looking fish, Geeze!
stidog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stidog »

Wow, growing up in the Finger Lakes we never got Smallmouth that big, down here its all big mouth that are about that size... very very nice fish, i'm impressed.... next we need sturgeon pics!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Roger will be wanting to pack his bags. Nice catches.
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

It's just not fair! Phil gets to live in heaven while he's still alive. Some guys have all the luck. I must admit though, he deserves it.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Some of us are just fishermen and some catch fish!