Recomendations....

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
stidog
Advanced Board Poster

Recomendations....

Post by stidog »

Dad and I are going to hit Lake Istakpoga in a throw back fishing trip. Thinking steel rods and casting reels. Rods i'm not too worried about. He has chosen a Shakespeare President that he conned me out of, and i'm thinking something not so nice to use. Debating on a Pflueger Rocket 1344 with the leather thumb break (my fish are really that big!!) or perhaps a Meisselbach Tripart or Pflueger Quadruple.... Any suggestions? And yes i'm young enough to be all lost in an old casting reel, I grew up using a Daiwa after I graduated from my Zebco.....
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Re: Recomendations....

Post by colby sorrells »

Little Shakespeare Sportscast hard to beat. Colby
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Pflueger Supreme 1573! Rock solid, reliable, and easy to use. Skilkast's a little more forgiving ONLY if the "mechanical thumber" is spot on. If you're looking for free spool and slip drag, I'd pick one of the Pflueger 1576, 1995, or 1895 reels. 1577 if you're looking for a smaller reel with FS and drag.
stidog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stidog »

Thanks for the info, we have several of those sitting on the shelf, I'll have to get a sinker and a bucket and practice out in the yard first.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Do yourself a favor and try a Langley streamlite or Pfl Skilcast....you want to fish, not deal with backlashes and those two are particularly well-behaved. I imagine the other recommended reels are also fine if set up properly. I've just found the two mentioned to be particularly well behaved.
stidog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stidog »

Just bought a few Langleys, I know both Lakecast and Streamlite. I just need to be late for work saturday and pick up my very own steel rod :P
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Good advice above on reels. Reely reely reel big fish, Pflueger Supreme and SkilKast. All reels mentioned are good. Remember they were designed for braided , not mono line. If you have one, I highly recomend the True Temper step tapered hollow steel rods such as the Dynamic or the Castmaster.