FUN IN THE JUNGLE

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

FUN IN THE JUNGLE

Post by Reel Geezer »

We live on the edge of a large irrigation reservoir that is surrounded with willows, cottonwood trees and lots of brush. This reservoir is drawn down 10 to 20 feet by the end of the growing season each year, which allows the brush to flourish. Some years the water carry-over or heavy snow fall allows the Bureau of Reclamation to fill the lake early, and thus move lots of water into the trees. This is one of those years. The lake has been rising 2-3 inches per day, which in front of our house moves the water horizontally 10-15 feet.

Saturday I donned my waders, took my brush rod and headed across the road to the lake. After a half hour of searching, I found some fish, and luckily landed three largemouth up to 17”. It was a ball. The brush and trees are so thick that I almost got lost trying to find my way home.

Yesterday I tried again, but never had a strike. This morning I found a storm blowing in and decided to forgo the river and give the jungle another try. I fished the same quarter mile of jungle in front of the house. Today I had eight fish hit my plastic worm. Two never got hooked; three buried themselves into the cover and got off; and three were landed. The best one was again 17”. Fishing over in the lake in these condition is like hand to hand combat. I love it!

The photos above were taken several years ago, but illustrate what it’s like to fish in the jungle. Over the years I've had fish swim through my legs when chasing my lure, crash into the body, etc. I've also broken three rods, fallen in so many times I've lost track, dunked a digital camera, and lost lots of lures. But there's still nothing like it.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: FUN IN THE JUNGLE

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

You've got it all out there. I think you live in fisherman's paradise.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

You need a GPS and radio!
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

Phil,
I never get my fill of your fishing posts. Keep them coming as I'm sure there are lots of us that look forward to seeing what you're catching and where all the action is taking place. Your photos usually cause me to take an old outfit from the wall and work it over with the oil bottle!

Warren Platt
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Great pics Phil. Must be great to be so close to exciting fishing!
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Phil

Fishing license purchased. Will help you and Fudge find your way out of the jungle.

Roger
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Warren, thanks for your comments. I've seen some of the photos of those bass you catch so I'm glad to know I help keep your reels oiled. Keep throwing those old Darters.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I was out last week and caught this really funny looking bass! Must be a CA strain :D

Weighed 20+ lb! Sent him off to swim another
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Phil that looks like a great way to spend an afternoon! John I'm surprised you didn't tear up your fingers something aweful in that cats mouth. Those channel cats can tear up your hand in a hurry when they get mad, looks more like a rug burn that a cut when they get done.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Robin, it's a blue cat as it turns out, but there were some serious rows of teeth to contend with and he was not nearly as genteel as my lady bass! I'm glad that episode was not on video!

Phil, sorry for the minor hijack. I am still amazed that you can bring a bass in when fishing that woods! Every direction is something else to get wrapped up on!
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

If i tried to fish in the jungle like Phil i would lose most of my tackle about 10 feet up a tree.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Where I was standing in those photos is too deep to wade this year. As the lake was rising in those trees it was good, but it is now full and the bass have backed off to the outer tree line. I've resorted to using my boat and have been yanking them from the outer trees. I had 25 this morning, with all coming out of trees and willow bushes in 6-12' of water. It's a lot easier to cast out there John and Robyn, but most are still caught by pitching a worm or creature into the trees.