Short Report

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Short Report

Post by Reel Geezer »

Roger Schulz and Dave Erickson have been Fudge's steady companion in my jet boat this week. Fishing has not been real good. We have averaged about 20 smallmouth per day with no real photo fish. The wind has been very bad, and temperatures have been over 100 each afternoon, so we are quitting around noon time. A lightning caused fire south of the Snake River grew from 30 acres last night (Tuesday) to over 130,000 acres this afternoon. The sky is full of smoke and today we could see the fire top the ridge line to the south and creep on north. It is all range land and burns very fast and hot. We have ash dropping in the yard at this time, and we are about 25 miles from the fire. The smoke has traveled over 100 miles north.

We have enjoyed fine companionship, nice evenings on the deck, and good food cooked by the rubber reel lady.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Short Report

Post by john elder »

Eek....stay safe, Phil! I know about watching fires heading for the door....not a fun time!
Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reel Addictive »

Phil - It may be Dave's fault. Natural disasters seem to chase him around. :shock:

Only kidding, glad you guys are alright and enjoying life. Look forward to pictures.

William
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Last time I fished with Dave, I think it was off of Matagorda, TX. Our fishing trip got cut short because we had to outrun a nasty looking storm barreling at us. Have fun guys!
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

This will be a memorable trip. 25 miles is close. I hope you can get a fish picture and not a fire picture. Plenty of rain in Colorado. Don and I fished Tuesday afternoon on Clear Creek in the rain and 55 degrees until 6:15.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

The fire is now closer to the river, but our property is in no danger. This fire is now the largest fire in the lower 48 at over 220,000 acres. We watched the fire spread to the east and grow today. Fishing was again very spotty, but watching the helicopters take on water in the river 100 yards away was awesome. I've got lots of photos and will post them on Saturday or Sunday. I wonder how many smallmouth they suck up in those hoses.

And you're right - Dave is the cause of all this.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Short Report PLUS FIRE PHOTOS & FISH UPDATE

Post by Reel Geezer »

Here are a few photos from the recent visit to the Snake River. Here you can see that Dave lost a lot of fishing time retying his lost lures and fish. That drug store 4 pound test monofilament just doesn’t pass the test on the Snake

By the time Dave finally got off a cast Roger was already posing for the camera with a decent smallmouth.

Dave did get the last laugh with this nice smallmouth on our final day. Roger retaliated by bringing the largest fish of the trip to the side of the boat only to have the hook pull out as we were racing to get to him to net the fish.

Thursday morning we could see lots of smoke from the fire as it was racing to the SE and moving upriver.

The most exciting part of the trip occurred as we returned to the ramp on Thursday afternoon. We noted a helicopter approaching upriver.

It kept getting closer to our location…

The closer it got the more it looked like a giant dragon fly with a big belly.

The copter hovered just downstream and filled its firefighting tank with water.

After the tank was full it headed off to drop the load of water. I wonder how many fish were fried when the water sizzled on the fire.