Ohio River angling

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Ohio River angling

Post by Mike N »

My son and his buddy started an Instagram account, OhioRiverAnglers, which has over 4,000 followers.

Here are a walleye and large flathead catfish my son caught this summer on the Ohio River near our home, about 25 miles south of Pittsburgh, PA. The one bright side of the death of the steel industry is how much cleaner our rivers are now.

And here are a hybrid striper caught on the Ohio by his friend Nick, as well as a drum caught on the Monongalia River, a tributary of the Ohio-- one of the few rivers in the United States that flows north.

Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Ohio River angling

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Nice fish. Future Reel Collectors?
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

I left Ohio many years ago. Back then the Ohio river was only good for carp and catfish. Great to see it is flourishing with so many species of fish. Never would have dreamed of seeing a wall-eye from the old muddy Ohio!

Thanks for the pics.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

What Wayne said! Never knew the Ohio had that much diversity!
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

I was born in ohio close to the ohio river and as a kid was not allowed in the water, great to see it came back, like the stories my grandfather used to tell about all the fish he caught & swimming in the river after fishing, haven't been back there for years I miss it now