Old Geezers celebration

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Old Geezers celebration

Post by Reel Geezer »

Fun to collect are sporting or fishing magazines from the year of your birth. I have had these magazines for many years and thought I'd share the covers with some of you youngsters.

Today is my 84th birthday and my days fishing are still very enjoyable. This 20" smallmouth celebrated with me when I released it to catch again.

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Old Geezers celebration

Post by wrong99 »

Happy Birthday, Phil.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Happy Birthday Phil, Nice fish!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Happy Birthday, Phil! It's so great to hear that you and Fudge are still getting out on those float trips. You must have that boat launching down to a science!
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Happy birthday.

I am always intrigued by old hunting and fishing magazines, and sporting goods catalogs. I have often wondered how many secret stashes with boxes full of old magazines and catalogs might exist out there. Still waiting to see someone like those American Pickers stumble across a treasure trove. Surprisingly many of the antique shops I have visited don't have as many old magazines as I would expect to see. They must be out there somewhere though.

Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by Tightlines666 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Tightlines666 wrote:Happy birthday.

I am always intrigued by old hunting and fishing magazines, and sporting goods catalogs. I have often wondered how many secret stashes with boxes full of old magazines and catalogs might exist out there. Still waiting to see someone like those American Pickers stumble across a treasure trove. Surprisingly many of te antique shops I have visited don'the have as many old magazines as I would expect to see. They must be out there somewhere though.

Thanks for sharing!
Back before the internet, when there were still old established and privately owned book stores, one could find ancient magazines and catalogs for really cheap. Comics too, when I was a kid. That stuff is worth a fortune now.
Mark
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Awesome! Happy birthday!
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Happy Birthday Phil and hope you spend many more catching fish.

Ray
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Happy Birthday, Phil. Keep on pestering :fished those smallies. :)
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Post by big hoss »

Those old F & S mags - I have a fair pile from the 30's 40's & 50's if you have anything you want feel free to contact me - postage from New Zealand of course!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I have often wondered how many secret stashes with boxes full of old magazines and catalogs might exist out there.
One of our greatest finds was a stash of over 1500 outdoor magazines in the loft of an old barn. These magazines were packaged by the year with individual sheets of paper between each copy. The newspapers they were wrapped in were from the 1930s. We had Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Outdoor Recreation, etc. from 1900 into the late 1930s.

We also purchased the Outdoor Life collection of Jack O'Connor the gun editor of that magazine. They were all bound with his notes included alongside various articles. It was obvious that as he aged he revised some of his articles and used them over again. Letters from notable big game hunters were used as bookmarks.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Phil

I did some math. When I am 84, you will be 98. At that rate I think we need to start showing Fudge how to unload the boat and pilot it. However, when I figure dog years, Fudge will be 133 years of age when you hit 98 and I hit 84. I guess Fudge needs to start fathering some puppies.

Keep on fishing, it keeps you young.

Roger
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Phil,
Congratulations on your birthday. You've still got more to come.

You sold me the oldest Texas fishing and hunting magazines I've found so far many years ago. I'm still looking for pre-1946 magazines published in Texas especially these 3. Not the best covers but good historical information inside.

Thanks for all of the help throughout the years.

Colby
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I have ways to go Phil to get to 84. I love those old magazines with such great covers. Compare them to the crap that is Outdoor Life and Field and Stream today. One of my pet peeves is that today's Outdoor Magazines have very little that would appeal to youngsters unlike the magazines of the past. Don't believe it, give a boy an Outdoor Magazine from the past 12 months and one from say 1959, and see how long he looks at each one. Hope you enjoyed your birthday and have many more.
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

Happy Birthday Phil !! Enjoy your day !!! John Savu
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

Happy Birthday, Phil! You and Marilyn have given much to our club and our hobby.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Hey Phil.

Belated Happy Birthday !

Dean.
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Happy belated birthday Phil. I hope it was a great one!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Happy birthday Phil! Mine is the 19th but I have a ways to go to be your age. I will only be 76.
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Happy 84th! I hear your name over and over and bow with reverence. You are legendary and apparently the fish think so too! Thank you for your contributions to the Club and its legacy. You are a hero to all of us. Send more pictures of your monster bass and magazines. We could sit down with those magazines and not get up for days!
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

happy birthday phil..and many more, i still chuckle when i think of all the dumb questions i would ask about reels and such on your former site, and you always answered without fail ,your a walking encyclopedia of fishing info.
charlie gano