Fishing in Arkansas

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Fishing in Arkansas

Post by bettybarr »

It wasn't all scouting on our Branson trip. Don and I drove 2.5 hours to Gaston's Landing in Arkansas and had a great float down the White River with our guide, Scott Branyan. We fished with a hopper, a steamer and a nymph and caught lots of rainbows and a few browns. Here are two of the prizes. The colors were gorgeous.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Fishing in Arkansas

Post by Brian F. »

Nice fish, Betty and Don! Glad you were able to work some fishn' in!
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

The ORCA National in Branson, MO will be very close to all kinds of fishing. Whether you like fly fishing for trout, topwater for BIG stripers or deep water for walleye the fishing within 2 hours of Branson is great. All four trout species, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, stripers, crappie, bluegill, walleye they're all there. Plenty of excellent guides or great places to walk in. You can fish Lake Taneycomo - actually a river not a lake, by just walking in and have numerous trout right at your feet. Try a night time striper trip. Stripers up to 60 pounds are regularly caught in the surrounding lakes. Never caught a cutthroat trout? How about a day fly fishing where you can catch cutthroat, brown, rainbow AND brook trout during the same day and then catch warmwater species like largemouth bass and bluegill while you break for lunch? If you like to fish, this is THE ORCA National to make sure you take a little time to actually use some tackle. It will be fun! Colby
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Lake Taneycomo starts at the Shepherds Hill Fish Hatchery right below The Chateau on the Lake. So we have warm water fishing and cold water within walking distance!
Thanks for all the fishing information, Colby.
We are going to have a FANTASTIC meeting. Be sure to see my photos of the area and hotel in the Convention announcements at the top of the page.
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

Looks like I am going to be going to Branson. The trout fishing sounds to good to miss. Beautiful fish Betty.
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

bettybarr wrote:
It wasn't all scouting on our Branson trip. Don and I drove 2.5 hours to Gaston's Landing in Arkansas and had a great float down the White River with our guide, Scott Branyan. We fished with a hopper, a steamer and a nymph and caught lots of rainbows and a few browns. Here are two of the prizes. The colors were gorgeous.
Hi Betty- My parent's live in Bull Shoals and son-of-a-gun when we were down visiting a couple years ago, my Dad put us up at Gaston's! Strictly a five star operation there! Beautiful accommodations right on the river! Woke up every morning sitting on a bench, drinking my coffee, and watching the bow's and the occasional huge Brown poking around in the Elodea beds. Crystal clear water. Great Sunday buffet brunch, too!

I caught some Rainbows, all about like yours, but just didn't have the time for a float trip. There's some shore/wade fishing, but a float would be the way to go on a river that large and with the water level changes. Next time! Best fly for me were little olive scuds. Took a few and had some huge follows using a spin outfit and a little tiny diving Rebel frog thingy.

Well worth the time if you can make it, Jay! Best--- Joe Walkowski

Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)