Another great year at Tim Pond

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Another great year at Tim Pond

Post by john elder »

Just got back from Maine after a week's fishing at historic Tim Pond where many of the early rod makers went to test their new wares. The meet was hosted, as always, by ORCA member, jeff Knapp and many other ORCAns were in attendance, including Dan Brock, Lorne Hirsch, Jerry Girard, and Jim Higgins. The theme was more about fishing antique bamboo, but everyone brought classic Montague, JVH, EVH, Hardy and other classic reels to match with those rods.

The target? Brook trout...a most beautiful fish:

The reason the Brookies were game to fall for our efforts? Hexagenia hatch was on:

The competitors for us folks, standing in boats and waving sticks? Loons! Excellent fishers..excellent thieves if you dally too long bringing in a hook-up:

As with most fishing, it was pretty slow in the afternoons, but mornings, and especially evenings, were the times when things got active. Fish or no, it was just so beautiful, it hardly mattered whether we hooked up or not (okay, I'm lying there):

We also took a field trip to the Outdoor Sporting Heritage Museum in Rangeley, to see a New F.E. Thomas display put together by Bob Stewart and Jerry Girard. That's author and all-around good guy, A.J. Campbell on the left and part of Bob on the right. Jerry also has a magnificent early gun display at the museum and there are scads of other displays about Carrie Stevens and her flies as well as a Stan Bogdan display. If you are anywhere close to there, a stop is a must!

jeff also was kind enough to put me up along with my Left Coast fishing partner and sometimes surgeon, Rex Eads...the MontyMan...before and after the trip to the lake.

We got in a side trip on the way home so Jeff could show us the burial site for the object of his recent rod making research, Charles Wheeler:

Jeff and wife, Cathie, have quite a menagerie...I got to know their latest edition, a very friendly Lioness:

(I did a mirror test on her just to be sure....incredible mount!)

The intrepid Bob Golder, who took several of the above pics (thanks Bob!) not only used his favorite Payne rods, but occasionally enjoyed the peace and serenity of his canoe.

I'm already saving up my miles for next year! Thanks much, Jeff!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
JeffK
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Another great year at Tim Pond

Post by JeffK »

Always a special place with a special history, its first guests were hosted in 1877. The trout are native in every sense and are descended from the same fish taken back in the early years.
John, you and Rex are always welcome here at Chez Ralphie. Rex departed with an armload of my rods today (but I wouldn't sell him any reels)and Dan and Lorne are due for a visit tomorrow afternoon. Once a year isn't often enough for these get-togethers. Right now, we're at 353 days and counting for the next one!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Wow, beautiful, beautiful scenery! Looks like a great time.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Now that's what I call a great fishing trip.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thanks for bringing us along, it looks like it was a great time.
Sid Lehr
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

That was a great picture essay! Enjoyed every minute. Brookies were the fish that made me a fisherman! And when I looked at the pic of you and the lioness, I first thought "man! what a big dog!". Great show, John!
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

What a trip and inspiring images! Thanks, John.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Great bunch of pictures John ! We have hunted Moose and Bear around Tim pond but have never actually seen the pond. Also have been all around Rangley on snowmobiles and every where in between it is GODS country !!! Nothing like waking up in the morning to silence other than Loons and other critters talking !!! Great trip !
John Taylor
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great trip. Brook trout is one the most beautiful in the world to me. Hard to beat!
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Left coast to right coast...and a good reason why. Thanks for the pictures and commentary. Starting your own show on the fishing networks? I can suggest a title for the show...sorry this is going to be bad....PHD PHishing PHor PHish. Again, I apologize!
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

:D hey, at least you tried, Mr Benson! Where you been, wayne?!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Just sitting on the sidelines for a while. My success at finding any new reels of any consequence is very limited. I keep bidding on Scott's reels on eBay but can't keep with the prices he gets. He's got the golden touch.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

John- I just saw this thread. The photography is really great as is the subject matter. I particularly loved the fish plaque in the photo with AJ.

Thanks.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Don't know how I missed this seeing as it was posted in July - sure looks like a wonderful trip and a great experience and, like you say, catching fish is just the icing on the cake. Thanks for sharing John!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

we have a December hex hatch in s. Texas. Since 70% of the biomass in our tailwater is tiny midges, we still usually fish a thread-midge dropper tied to the hook bend. Skittering those big size 6 hex dries will often work the fish into a frenzy and draw attacking strikes.
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Boy, that reminds me of the hatch of what we call the "White Drake" here in WNY each spring! They are big flies (yea, I tie them on #8XL), and they seem to have a lot of trouble getting off the water! During the hatch, they will, as you said, "skitter" across the surface for some distance. The trout seem to key on this action! They will ignore a drag free float, but charge across the water at one dragging across the surface! I tie mine on little white porcupine quills for the body- they float like corks!

Geez- Mayfly hatch in DECEMBER! Only in Texas! Go have fun! Best--- JoeW (ORCA)
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

well that was a bit extreme
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Mike and Ed...''twas a great trip...third year and about to send in res for 2018... great camp, good company and even fish!

Ps...Ron, take your hijack elsewhere
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member