Tale Of Woe!!

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Tale Of Woe!!

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Not sure this is a fish tale cause I haven't made it to water yet. If there was an award for dumb, I would have won it today. Getting stuff ready in anticipation of a short outing on Monday. Put a new Berkley Lure with two treble hooks on my casting rod and was going to adjust the reel. Was inside my reel room. Lure fell down onto a piece of pile carpet. I spent probably 45 minutes or more cutting carpet trying to get the hooks out. Very frustrating. Note to self: when adjusting the reel. go outside. Lure was very good catching
carpet, probably won't catch any fish. Having had cataract surgery and not being able to see up close didn't help either. Threading through eyelets and tying knots is not for old folks. Almost enough to make you give up fishing. Will only be third time to go this year. Too busy being "Nurse Ratchet". Jon
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Tale Of Woe!!

Post by john elder »

I feel your pain, Jon! It's amazing how well those hooks work on non-fishy things. Makes you realize how much you don't want to hook anything on a Heddon 150! One treble is quite enough!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

You gotta make that trip tomorrow Jonathan! Tight lines!

Bad Bob

PS Hope to hit the Harpeth this week. High water my only try earlier this summer made us quit before we got started!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Nice day for fishing but not for catching. The 90 Degree Fall Temp. might have slowed the action. Nice lunch and nice to get in the out doors for a while. All in all a beautiful day. Fishing is always secondary.
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

Jonathan, I feel your pain! I have had several of those episodes with Ethan, and an excited 12 year old doesn't always pay attention to where hooks on a line in a house fall, including several vintage Persian rugs I own. I will share a tip I learned from a deckhand I knew - when the hook is set, let it go the direction it started - ie, cut the hook with dikes and pull it on out. This from a guy that used that adage the first time on someone's finger and the second time on a cheek! Ouch! :shock: Lures (unless vintage) are pretty cheap and one works pretty much as well as the other in my humble opinion. (I'm a bait guy!)

Tight lines,
Keith in Arden, NC
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Thanks. The lure I had tied on was brand new out of the package so I didn't really want to damage it. It was probably worth more than the carpet. Frustrating to even try to fish anymore when I can't see well to thread the eyelets on the rod. Never fails, I end up getting the line wound around the rod when trying to thread through the eyelets. All part of getting old. Growing old isn't easy!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I always say, I've fallen in all the best fishing holes in North America
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Yes, the old hooks in the carpet or nylon anchor rope or webbing on the life jacket routine. I have spent an equal amount of time (maybe more) on my hands and knees looking for a small screw that jumped out of my hand and into shag carpeting----when will I learn to work over a towel or cloth to catch them. As for those tiny hook eyelets--- I now carry a powerful pair of reading glasses in my tackle box!
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

The frustrations are almost greater than the joy. And now to boot, the golf course where I have played on and off for 50 yrs is closing for good the end of Nov. If I give up on fishing and golf, what's left? There is no joy in Mudville anymore!! Guess I'll have to learn to play harmonica!!!!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Bill Sonnett wrote:Yes, the old hooks in the carpet or nylon anchor rope or webbing on the life jacket routine. I have spent an equal amount of time (maybe more) on my hands and knees looking for a small screw that jumped out of my hand and into shag carpeting----when will I learn to work over a towel or cloth to catch them. As for those tiny hook eyelets--- I now carry a powerful pair of reading glasses in my tackle box!
I learned with fly reel springs, takedown in a shoe box is always best.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Ron many years ago (on more than one occasion) I disassembled a South Bend automatic fly reel. This is just one of several very good reasons I have used single action fly reels for the past 50+ years---LOL
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I got really good at fabricating replacements from piano wire, but it's still a booger if one of these gets away
I don't think you can lose the spring from an auto
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Yes, the old hooks in the carpet or nylon anchor rope or webbing on the life jacket routine. I have spent an equal amount of time (maybe more) on my hands and knees looking for a small screw that jumped out of my hand and into shag carpeting----when will I learn to work over a towel or cloth to catch them. As for those tiny hook eyelets--- I now carry a powerful pair of reading glasses in my tackle box!
I learned with fly reel springs, takedown in a shoe box is always best.
Hell, I bought one of these to roll over my Reel Room carpet prior to vacuuming:

Works pretty good, sometimes. :mrgreen:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Jon (and everyone else)-- Good reading glasses help, but Orvis offers a very simple line threader. Not the fancy-schmancy ones- it's just a very thin wire loop on a little handle. Poke it through the eye of the lure or fly hook, stick the line through it, pull the loop through the eye, and bingo! Should work for threading line through line guides. too. They DO work! Same principle as a needle threader sold at sewing stores. I keep one in my fishing jacket, tackle box, and on my tool ring pinned to my vest.

Trouble tying knots? Ya know, I've fished for the last many years and discovered I only need to know two knots! The loop knot and the clinch knot (NOT even the improved clinch!). I can tie both of these with my eyes closed.

Also helps- when fishing lures, I tie on a small snap (NOT a snap swivel) to the end of my line. It's stronger, and a lot easier to poke a snap through a lure eye than the end of a piece of line with a mind of it's own!

Hooks? LOL! They always stick and hold where you don't want them to! But have a 10 pound steelhead jump up out of the water with one in it's mouth and it's like the hook had no barb, or point, or even bend!

A bunch of years ago it became a real chore to tie up little trout flies on #16- #20 hooks! Also discovered I couldn't see them on the water ahymore either! I thought it was the end of my fly fishing! Then I discovered that if they ain't rising for #14 dry flies, they ain't rising for #16's either!

Keep fishing! There are ways to get around everything! Quitting golf? - well... no comment. Have fun! Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC ORCA)
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)