Pretty wild catch

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Pretty wild catch

Post by 1badf350 »

So this past summer i was pin rigging at the end of Jennettes Pier in Nags Head NC for Cobia and King Mackerel.
I decided to step off to the side of the pier and throw a gotcha plug for blues/spanish. My plug snags a rather long stretch of blue braid the was in the water. So i reel it up and begin hand lining all this braid when it starts to get heavy.
Im thinking that somebody hooked a skate and cut the line, but its just dead weight.
I get it to the surface and its a surf rod and reel. I pull it up and, to my amazement, it was a brand new 12' Penn Battalion XH 8-12oz casting rod that someone had mounted a brand new Quantum Cabo 80 to.
Asked pier security if anyone reported it missing. He said yeah but they left 3 hours ago and didnt leave a number.
I hosed everything off. Just a minimal amound of sand in the Cabo rotor and drag washers easily came out. Took the reel apart that night and you know not one drop of water was in that gear box.
Wish the owner had left a number i felt bad for keeping it. Pier staff all know me well and had they called i would have gladly returned it to the owner.
Happens quite frequently. Someone leaves a rod unattended on the rail and along comes Mr Ray. Rod goes over and heads off into the sunset. Not sure what happened in this case.
-Chris
Last edited by 1badf350 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris R.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: Pretty wild catch

Post by 54bullseye »

Oh that was my rod and reel !! Forgot to leave my number !! Just send it to me I will pay shipping. Thanks John T
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Pretty wild catch

Post by 1badf350 »

LOL John! It's the only thing I caught all summer that wasn't used for bait.
-Chris R.