Snake Assault - Day 3, 4, and 5

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Snake Assault - Day 3, 4, and 5

Post by Reel Geezer »

I'll combine the rest of the assault into one message to keep from getting too boring.

Day 3. We made this a day of rest. Roger raided my files for catalogs and information that should be passed on to be used for future research. Dave Erickson arrived in the PM and we adjourned to the deck for lots of fun discussions. My arthritus enjoyed the break.

Day 4. We were up in the dark and headed to the Hope House ramp. This is my favorite area for winter fishing due to deep holes that are easy to reach. However we headed upriver to a large sand bar that was under a couple of feet of water at this time. The river side of the bar fronts a sloping drop off into 10-20' of water. No one seems to know the bar is there, except for lots of fish (and me). We anchored and proceeded to demolish the smallies. The fish were larger than Tuesday, averaging 14-17". Again the Fluke was supreme, and our supply of bubble gum color ran out. The count was at over 50 by the time we weighed anchor. We drifted back to the ramp over the next hour or two and ended the morning with 90 smallmouth to 17". We went to town to try to replentish our supply of Flukes and cleaned out the shelf at our one store, and filled ourselves with a good dinner.

Day 5: We decided to try for a Map Rock replete. We got a little further upstream this time, but still only fished about 3 miles of river and ended with 125 fish up to 17". This day we had a fish every cast at "old truck point" a spot that had never been great for me, but the gods were smiling on us this day. We went ashore at Ware Island, which Fudge enjoy and had a swim, and then worked our way downsream to return home. Many fish took the Fluke on this return, and we ended the morning at 125 fighting smallmouth. It was amazing. We again had fish to 17" and these smallmouth fight like they are all 5 pounders.

Roger and Dave are now preparing to head off to their next destination. I doubt if any of us will forget this week. We totaled 361 smallmouth in 4 mornings of fishing. We only saw one other boat and they weren't fishing. Unfortunately we missed any 19-20" fish, but they are scarce always. It sure was a week to remember.
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Snake Assault - Day 3, 4, and 5

Post by Steve »

:shock: :bow: :cool

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Great memories!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

:D ...nice, ...very jealous! Had a good time at June lake but had about 10% that many fish and too much smoke from all the fires! Some good QT with Wife, Linda, regardless. (Since you were all too busy catching fish to take pics, thought i’d Stick in a couple visuals...this was our only smoke-free day!)

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

What a great week of fishing. I would say it is the best fishing I ever had for many, many years. The Snake River is a fun place to fish. I think we were about the only boat on that portion of the river. Had a great week of visiting with Phil and Marilyn, Fudge, and Dave Erickson. Marilyn kept us well fed. Phil was the great guide as usual, even at 86. I did mange to secure a large number of original tackle catalogs from Phil and continue to accumulate a large portion of his research files. Four boxes to be shipped.

Roger
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

....now, if you can just get Erickson to stop following you around :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

John

As you know, Dave is single and is not tied down like many of us. His brother and mother live in northern Washington. He is from northern Idaho.

Roger