Fishing Lake Lonely

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Fishing Lake Lonely

Post by Reel Geezer »

Hey Jim: how about a clue as to what we will be facing when we go fish Lake (Friendly) Lonely in the fishing contest. Is this a shallow weedy lake or will we want to see if we can all find some CCBC Jointed Darters so we can all catch a 5 pounder like Bill Muth did last year?
Last edited by Reel Geezer on Sun May 07, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Good question Phil.......

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Lake Lonely (it can be friendly too...!) has a little bit of everything a bass fisherman could want. Shallow weedy bays, deep water access, rock piles, drop offs close to shallow water, inlets, bluffs...you name it. For those that may have missed it, here is a link that shows the lake layout:
http://www.lakelonely.com/map.htm
I know top waters will work, and there sure are bass in there that'll match what Bill caught last year. One word of caution though...there are also some really bit toothy critters in there. Not of the 'gator kind that we had in Texas, but just as nasty in disposition! Both big pike and pickerel roam those waters, and will be on the prowl!
So, any shallow or deep water bait will work, and there should be weedy areas, just not matted up just yet - too early up here for that. I'll be taking the boat out later this week to...ah..."scope things out" (just an excuse to get on the water and go fishin' really). I'll take pictures and post 'em later this week. It's this darn WORK thing that keeps gettin' in the way. :(
Jim
el Lawrence
Advanced Board Poster

Post by el Lawrence »

So what percautions do we need to take for the "toothy" stuff? Wire leaders? Steel gloves? Salmon gaffs and priests? Anything in partiular? Will we get to put together our own groups for fishing or will it be luck of the draw? Any icebergs still on the water?

DO TELL...
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

That Jointed Darter is making its return to the water so watch out. Heck, it did so well in Texas that it might be the only lure I bring. By the way, for those of us who had to wait to the last minute on everything (work threatened to require me to the cancel trip until things cleared up middle of last week), is there any place near the resort where I could pick up a fishing license? Too late to do it on the internet.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

it just so happens......

Well, as a good co-host, I felt it necessary to head out and try the local waters today (Well, really it's because I have to cover the night shift at work and had time during the day to get out). As a result, I have good news :D and bad news :cry:
The good news is the fish are starting to warm up, and get active in the shallows!
The bad news, all I could catch them on was a Millers reversible in yellow spot! Oh, and that one hawg that hit a shielded McHarg spinner...
OK, so I stretched the truth a bit there (hey, I AM a fisherman!), but they are starting to hit topwaters, so Bill just may repeat his catch from last year. El, I wouldn't worry 'bout the pike or pickerel, since we won't be using mono line. And, I'll give a short lesson in landing those monsters before we get to the water, and again that morning. No hardware needed!
Bass in these waters can reach 7-8 pounds, and the pike can exceed 20 or so.
Lots of folks asking about a license, and yep, you can get one right up the street from the resort. If you haven't picked one up by now, I'd recommend waiting 'till you get here to buy one.
As for fishing partners, we'll do our best to make sure you all fish with a buddy, or at least someone who knows how to remove a backlash! :shock:

Just a fews days away now...can't wait!
Jim
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

OKaay! At least with a couple of years of these tournaments under my belt, those lakes on the big island you all live on don't look like moonscape to me anymore! :lol:
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

Since I'll not be in the tournament, I'll give you my thinking about what I'd try if I were. First off you're not in Texas this year and you're fishing very early in the season, and while the bass are just starting to hit surface lures I believe they would prefer smaller lures over the full size models. I also think the less noise your lure makes, the better. I was out Sunday (in Missouri) and the zip-zip noise of the SOS didn't trigger any strikes, but the less noisy retrieve of the Midget Darter sure did. I would also look for grass or weeds in shallow areas that have been warmed by the sun, especially if the bottom is dark. The bass will be lured to warm water, especially if the bait fish are there too.
Unless you're hung up on surface fishing like I am, I'd take along a junior jointed Pikie or Pal-O-Mine. They both can be worked in pretty shallow water with great sucess.
Hey Jim, anything I've said that doesn't sound logical to you? Come on, even though you're going to be in the tournament, share a little more of your ideas after being on the lake.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Sounds like a plan...

Warren,
Lots of your thoughts are on target, but I would not rule out those transition areas, like deep water points with access to shallow flats. Since the legal game fish this time of year are Pike, Pickerel, perch and panfish, we will include them in the tournament. As a result of fishing for those fish, you will without question catch bass too (it's an all catch and release tournament). So, more to think about: Pike are curious critters, and love topwaters and things that make noise. All these fish love a good "flash" in the water too. And, since the natural forage is perch with a 2nd choice BlueGill, those color patterns work well too. I think we'll find fish most everywhere on the lake. I found big pike crusing the shallows, buck bass on the shallow flats, bigger bass mixed in, but I think the big fish may be in transition right now.
And no, I won't be fishing the tournament - I'll be out there in my bass rig making sure everyone is OK, and providing assistance when and if needed. Besides, someone has to take pictures!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Last year I got to see the art of using topwater lures fishing with Harvey Musselman and taking tips from Warren Platt. This year, I'm hoping someone can explain a little or, ideally, show me how to "buzz" an old metal spinner, Hawaiian Wiggler or some other metal bait since I hear there are some things that look like barracuda in Lake Lonely. We do more fast retrieving over the reef than slow top-water type fishing so I'm somewhat familiar with how to get some action on a lure. Anything in particular I should keep in mind?
Tom E.
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom E. »

Brian, just hold your mouth right and don't reel too fast.