Weekend Fishing Trip...cue gilligan's island theme music

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Weekend Fishing Trip...cue gilligan's island theme music

Post by Robin Sayler »

I got a fishing story for you guys...

Last weekend i was down at my friends cabin having a good ole time.

We heard that the trout were biting on the river and I'm a sucker for trout so we loaded up the boat.

Current Mood :D

Everything was going smoothly the motor started on the first pull, the tackle boxes were full of lures that couldn't go wrong.
Mood is still :D

So we get out into the current and turn to go up river a ways and i look back at my friend Dan whos driving (same guy from the canada post) just in time to see the motor jump off the boat, do a half circle on its own and sink like a rock.

current face. :shock:

We all just kind of looked at each other for a few minutes with faces like "did that just happen?"

Now this is bad for two reasons

A) We don't have a paddle because its safely in the garage where we put it so we wouldn't forget it.

B) this was dan's grandfathers motor

Current mood: :? :(

So we're drifting towards the bay of greenbay with no paddle, what to do...At this point we broke one of the seats in half and used it to paddle to shore. then we had to drag the boat back about 300 yds upstream to his cabin.

Now is the hard part, We need to call his dad and explain what just happen to his 3 horse antique motor.

Current mood: :cry:

so we get john on the phone and John was not happy.

his mood: :x

good thing he is currently in California where he couldn't throw us in the river.

Well a diver is currently searching for the motor and if and when it can't be found I know what the four of us are spending a chunk of our tax returns on.

The worst part...Never did get to go trout fishing
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Just thought i would revive this one.

Last week the motor was found. We were dragging the bottom with a large homemade hook and we hit something so we dove down to see what it was. After finding what appeared to be every rock in that stretch of the river we finally found the motor.

It came up a little muddy but after a full day of dissassembling it and cleaning it we got it running.

Its working and just in time for duck season next weekend! :D
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

wow - that's a long time to be in the dog house. :P

congratulations on your success !
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Thanks, sounds like we are actually going to be allowed to use it again also. I was surprised how easily we were able to fix it. After we got the muck out of it and cleaned it up it didn't take much at all.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

My vote for Dan's grandfather for sainthood-or someting else less complimentary I have in mind for lending the motor to you guys again. Only thing crazier than losing an outboard motor is diving in deep icy running water to retrieve it. You will eventually outgrow the urge to do things like that. Even duck hunting wouldn't be worth the risk!
The Bad One

PS-Had friend who deliberately tried to throw his outboard into Kentucky Lake when he couldn't start it. Got frustrated trying to get it off the transom, looked for something else to throw and spotted his wrist watch. Ripped it off his arm, threw it far out into the lake with a little splash. My other friend said "Tom! That was your watch!" Tom replied: "Da-n watch wan't all that good, but hated to lose that band. It was brand new!" Fishermen are a strange breed.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Robin, you need to enter this contest:
http://www.warmfly.com/