It's coming to an end...

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

It's coming to an end...

Post by Reel Geezer »

As I drove to the river yesterday I couldn't help but notice the snow on the Owyhee Mountains to the south. Of course the 39 degree morning temperature also signaled an end to summer.

Yesterday was another big fish day. My first strike produced this wonderful 20" smallmouth. I assumed it was a Channel Cat when it first started moving off with terrific power. This one never did jump (maybe the 57 degree water temperature has something to do with that).

I followed this one with a 19" smallie a few minutes later. They were both at the head of a riffle in about 2' of water. I caught about 15 more, but no others over 15".
qwapaw
Advanced Board Poster

Post by qwapaw »

You are correct, Summer is coming to an end. The best part about being a fisherman in Oregon is another season begins. Next week I'll chase Chinook Salmon in the river for 3 days and hope to get that illusive 45 pounder. Then we go into Steel Head fishing. Isn't being a fisherman great. Fun times year around. I really enjoy your posts and hopefully I can have a nice photo or 2 to post after our trip next week. Thanks, Dan Uchytil
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Phil...nice fish! What are you catching them on these days? rubber worms?
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

John, the larger fish was caught on a 4" Yum Dinger (Senko copy) in blue/black. I have been dead drifting them with no weight lately, and doing OK that way. However, the best lure last week was a white spinnerbait, but so far this week it has been a 3" chartreuse grub, which I cast on an ultra light casting rig. Today it accounted for quite a few smallmouth and the beast shown below.
Dan, I'd guess this guy went about half the size of the salmon you're seeking. However today I gave up early - between 45-51 degree weather, 10 MPH winds, and rain showers it was too much for me and Bert. Also of interest to Dan, there used to be 40+ kings in the area I'm fishing until the series of dams on the Snake halted the salmon and steelhead runs. When I was a graduate student at the U of O in Eugene I chased a few of those salmon and steelhead, but at 75 years of age I find a nice fire in the wood stove more fun during winter.

This Carp almost spooled me. He took that grub and when I set the hook he headed out like he thought he was a Tarpon. After he didn't slow down, I decided I had to start after him or he was going to take all my line. I chased him down with my trolling motor on high and after 5-10 minutes I got a hand in his gill plate.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Phil - that's a funny looking smallmouth in that last photo! Did you have it mounted?
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Had no idea carp bite lures. :shock:
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Had no idea carp bite lures.
Ours don't very often. This is only the second one I have had take a lure in the past 20 years or so. This one very definitely did take the lure. The jig was in it's mouth, with the hook through its lip. I think he picked it up as soon as it hit bottom. The water was only about 3' deep.
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

I know what you mean about summer coming to an end. We got a couple inches of snow this weekend and the temp was 12 this morning. Fortuantely that means I'll be catching pike under the ice soon.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Summer definitely not at an end here in Tennessee Geeze-up to 91 today! But I would trade for 45 if I could hook that kind of SM! Bad Bob
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

fishing is just getting good here
Last weekend, we drove across the top of the escarpment - 130 miles of switchbacks. Crossed 3 beautiful rivers - and didn't stop?! We made it to the Nueces about 20 miles below its headwaters. Waded long distances to find the rare real-estate - a shade tree. And caught pig bass, hog bass, dumb bass, beautiful clearwater bass two and three times each. We'd wade up to one of these root balls and start catching the small bass. Their action would wake up the mamas and daddies and the whole pod would light into a pod-competition feeding frenzy that lasted for a half-hour. The stupid thing was, nobody put their cameras to work and we were all really spread out wide on this, so nobody photographed any of the really big fish - I got a few photos, but none of the hogs.

a new strain of long ear for my photo collection

I fished my 7-1/2' Cummings Water Witch and what a joy.
Graphite fishermen would think this rod is a 2-wt., but it's a 6/7, and won't load properly with a 5. It really comes to life with the correct line. Of course, I was fishing a Teeny T130, but even in the gusting west Texas wind, the rod had plenty of power and was absolutely perfect for this fishing.

seriously, we waded about 3-4 miles to fish 4 (four) trees and easily caught 300 bass between us.
Sam, here, got the biggest bass of all, well over 20 inches.

where we'd find pods of smaller bass along cut banks, a couple of us would dial through the whole pod, again, catching each fish 2 to 3 times before they got wise to us.

qwapaw
Advanced Board Poster

Post by qwapaw »

OK, The salmon trip on the Siuslaw River is history. Had a great time with the son in law. He cought a nice 36" Chinook the first day. I did catch a 13" Sea Run Cutthroat that day. The next day was my turn. (now for my excuse). I have both hands in braces waiting for surgery on the tendons. I got the stike, set the hook and Katy Bar The Door he took off. I figured out I couldn't hold the rod and reel it both, so I put the rod under my left arm pit and procceeded to wind the string from my hooded sweat shirt into my reel. By the time I got it unreeled I had a double wrap with the line aroung the reel handle. The fish was still on and not helping me a bit. The tide was high and he ran into a tree, and when I was ready, he was gone. We can laugh about it now, but we analyzed what we should have done for an hour. I should have handed the rod to the Son in Law and let him have the fight. Still 2 great days on the river and the next day we crabbed with no luck. Can't wait for next year, as this is our yearly 2 guys fishing outing. Life is Grand in Oregon, even if I did not get a fish. Dan Uchytil