Ice Fishing

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
qwapaw
Advanced Board Poster

Ice Fishing

Post by qwapaw »

Since I am in Oregon, I have not had a chance to ice fish. I hope some of you guys will share some of your ice fishing trips ( photos) with us this winter. It is very interesting to me. Thanks, Dan Uchytil
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Hey Dan, Great timing I'm going out tommorow and I'll share some pictures when I get home tommorow evening.

Robin
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Well here it is my big picture for the day. Me sitting on a box waiting for a flag to go up. Well luck didn't shine on us today so no fish. The ice was kind of iffy with there only being 3 to 5 inches so we couldn't get where we wanted too but I'm sure with in the week we'll get over to the hotspot where all the fish in my pictures from last year came from.

Hopefully soon I won't need the big bulky float coat you see in the picture but until we get some more ice i'm wearing it!

qwapaw
Advanced Board Poster

Post by qwapaw »

Wow, that looks fun. I have never had a chance to ice fish, but looks like a good time to me. Thank you for the picture. Dan Uchytil
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Well its been a while and I've been doing some more ice fishing so I took some pictures of the actual fishing to share.

This is my buddies shack on lake poygan in wisconsin, we went out a few times while I'm staying down here for my break between semesters. This shack is nice, heater, cushioned seats and the whole nine yards.

Here's me trying to catch something, didn't get much that day only a three inch whitebass. The fog in the pictures is the heat coming out! We had it pretty warm in there.

Here's what the holes we cut look like. We put extras so we can jig in the top ones and watch in the others.

This is our setup to get out there as its three miles out on the lake.

Here is one of the many groups of shacks out on this lake.

And lastly just to prove i do catch fish once in a while, I caught this one last weekend.

BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

Looks like a nice house Robin, How much ice do you have on the lake now?
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Theres about a foot of ice, however; its been raining so the foot of ice is under a foot of water. Its a real mess right now but its supposed to get cold again this weekend.
Tony Malatesta
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tony Malatesta »

Lucky you. I,m feeling a little jeolous right about now. The Great White North has mostly gone south with temperatures reaching 50F. We have no safe ice what so ever. Maybe Feb.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Man, with all this crazy weather, it sounds like a great opportunity to lose a pickup truck or two and maybe a reel collector or two in the process! Spring is not that far away, Boyz!...be careful! :shock:
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

cool, I was wondering when the fish were going to show up.
All the time I was thinking what a great place to drink whiskey and smoke cigars.
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

A friend of mine who lives on Lake Mille Lacs in MN built his fishing house large enough to accomodate him and a few friends, complete with sofa, beds and a bar, and a generator and propane tank to operate all of the home comforts. Of course, by the time he had it tricked out to specifications it was far too heavy to take out on the ice--probably too heavy for the North Pole--so it now serves as a guest house sitting on skids in his back yard. But a great place to have a drink and smoke a cigar.

I think you have the right idea, Robin.

BTW, he says the conditions on most of the MN lakes are as you describe in WI--lots of snow and water sitting on too little ice.

(Other) Robyn
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

We have roughly the same amount of ice minus the water on top. Northern MN. has had more snow on the ice, so they have more of the water slush issue. I have been fishing with a Pflueger Akron free spool and a Shakesphere President. My friend is using a Akron free spool and a Bronson green hornet. Two of the reels are on vintage steel rods. Most of my fishing is at night for Walleye and Crappie.

Don
qwapaw
Advanced Board Poster

Post by qwapaw »

Wow, that look great. I iwll be on the rainy Willamette River this weekend plunking for Steelhead. If we are lucky in the colored water we may get a stick or two between the 2 of us on Saturday. It would be nice to be able to ice fish someday. Thanks for sharing, it's real great of you, Dan Uchytil In Oregon
qwapaw
Advanced Board Poster

Post by qwapaw »

OK It's Sunday morning and we are getting ready to go again. As I thought we caught 2 sticks yesterday and no fish. Maybe today. Dan