Here's the Pike I've been looking for!

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Here's the Pike I've been looking for!

Post by Robin Sayler »

Caught his one yesterday afternoon around 2:30. I was sitting in my shack and just as I looked out the window a flag on the tip up poped up so I walked out to investigate and it was pulling out line ever so slowly, which is usually the sign of a big fish. So I procede to set the hook, felt like I set the hook on the back end of a school bus, I knew it was a good fish. Fifteen minutes later I had this one on the ice. He goes 40.5 inches and was just about 23lbs. So I took a few pictures and then let him go back into the lake.

Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

fresh catch

Post by Jack Bright »

Now THAT is a Pike and a half! Congratulations. Bait ? Sucker Minnow
about 10 inches ? Tell us, and line strength, wire leader ? Did you check out it`s belly ?
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

You won't believe this but I got it on my normal pike rig...

tip up with 40lb green braided line, with a 24 inch 30lb. mono leader and a single red treble hook.

Bait was a 4 inch shiner.

Its stomach felt full, since i threw him back I couldn't inspect too much but If I had to guess I would say he's been eating other pike and smelt. We catch alot of little pike that are just torn up on the sides where something tried to eat them.
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Robin:

Way to go, young man. That's a fine looking bunch of fish sticks!

And best wishes to your fine team in Green Bay. Go Packers!

Jim
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Great looking fish, Robin!
qwapaw
Advanced Board Poster

Post by qwapaw »

Yahoo, Way to go.I knew you'd get one. Hope you get his big brother next. Thanks for sharing, Very nice catch. Dan from Oregon
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

I'm envious, we have no ice in the SW part of the lower peninsula right now. Got all my stuff ready to go a couple weeks ago and then we had 60 degree temps and rain. This weekend may fix that, it's going to be frigid.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Thanks Guys! Its going to be frigid up here also this weekend we are supposed to get down to a high of 1. We have a tournament to fish on saturday so I hope the heater doesn't give out!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Sweet! Lost a nice northern ice fishing in N. Minnesota over xmas but nothing that big! Well done sir.

Hope you kept some 6-8 pounders for pickling!

-- Dr. Todd
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

once you cut a hole in the ice, that gator was just trying to get out.
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

Awesome fish, Thanks for sharing the photos. Makes me want to go out fishing. A friend of mine keeps calling me to go out today but it is - 5 F. at 11:15 A.M. He has a nice house and I could watch the game and fish at the same time. He said that we have over 2 ft. of Ice now. Maybe I'll go?
qwapaw
Advanced Board Poster

Post by qwapaw »

OK, I'm still waiting for more. fish in the river here and I can't get to them. Too much work and helping the kids out. Maybe in 2-3 weeks, but I really miss the photos from you guys. Happy fishing, Dan
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Well, this isn't as impressive as Robin's pike, but we caught this one this weekend (my 6-year old son Jake caught the two perch). Caught on an Igloo tip-up using a shiner on a single hook in 15 feet of water, with the shiner dangling about 2 feet below the ice. Tasted pretty good coming off the grill, too.

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice fish, Bill! And cool-thumb on the young man's perch.

What's all that white stuff in the background?
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Hey Bill nice catch! Glad to see you guys are actually having a winter this year. I haven't had much of a chance to get out in the last couple weeks. I did catch a nice 36 incher on friday but that was the first time I got out in the last two weeks. I'm so busy with school right now I don't have too much extra time.

However, march 8th I'm leaving for a week ice fishing in Canada again this year. As far as I'm concerned Ear Falls, Ontario is the best spring break spot there is! So look forward to some nice pictures in a couple weeks here.
qwapaw
Advanced Board Poster

Post by qwapaw »

Super photo. I'd be happy with the perch too. I bet it did taste great. Thank you for sharing, Dan U