Fishing in Alaska

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Steve K
Frequent Board Poster

Fishing in Alaska

Post by Steve K »

For our 25th anniversary this August, my wife is suggesting a trip to Alaska yay-banana yay-banana yay-banana and has given me the green light for a day or two of fishing...Salmon? Halibut? :D
Any advise on guides? :?: Places to stay? :?:
We would be flying in to Anchorage.
Wonder what old reels we might find up there as well... :roll:
Would also enjoy talking reels to any other ORCA members in the area. :D
Thanks
Steve Knier
ORCA,CATC.FATC,NFLCC member from Greensboro, NC 8)
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

wonderful time to go.
Silver salmon runs, which actively attack lures, and the rainbows and dollies are fat from eating salmon flesh and eggs all summer

that time of year, the crowds on all the drive-to places are horrendous.

If you want a real adventure, but still with civilized amenities, I highly recommend Rus Schwausch
http://www.epicanglingadventure.com/
he gives you two choices - his safari camp, which everything you would want from a lodge,
or his outpost fishing, where the rivers don't have names.
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

Congratulations on 25 years! Thats great.

I've only been to Anchorage once, but I hear there are a lot of places to fish. I do all my salmon fishing in Prince William sound and the Copper river.

You'll definitely want to get out of anchorage as soon as possible. I hear the Kenai penensula is beautiful so I plan to take a drive down there in late July. Like Ron said the Rainbow & Dolly Varden fishing is supposed to be outstanding.

Homer is supposed to be the place to go for BIG halibut without a two hour boat ride.

4 hours north of Anchorage is denali National Park, one of my favorite places in the state. Thats your best bet to see Grizzlies, wolf, moose, caribou, and Dall sheep all in the same day. Ride the bus in to at least Toklat river. Then hike up a hill for a great view.

As for reels, I'm amazed by the lack of good tackle here. It's hard to find quality rods and reels here in fairbanks, everybody sells cheep outfits to the tourist. Bring a penn slammer, a nice travel rod and your fly rod with you.

I've yet to find a collectible reel in an antique shop here. Again, I've never searched in Anchorage so it could be virgin territory loaded with 19th century reels but somehow I doubt it. I think there's another ORCA member in the state but he's way down in Juneau.

Steve K
Frequent Board Poster

Alaska

Post by Steve K »

What great pics! I can't wait for the trip!
We are thinking we'll spend about 5 days in Alaska and then return on a cruise ship to Vancouver before returning to North Carolina. All in all about a 10 day or so trip.
I know most of my fly fishing gear won't handle those big kings they have up there.
I also have a 22 year old son that is going to die when he hears we are going. Unfortunately he needs to work and take classes this summer so he can graduate in 2009.
Unfortunately the wife doesn't fish but she will enjoy the views and perhaps could take the pictures...I can't wait to show her the posts.
Thanks again for the information.
Steve Knier