Down by the riverside...

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Down by the riverside...

Post by Reel Geezer »

Yesterday I got the Rubber Reel Lady to take a ride with me in my jet boat for a little fishing and some touring. We accessed the Snake River down this road...
Although this photo does not really show it, this road is a 12% grade going on a very steep diagonal down the side of the canyon. Note the little notch at the top of the canyon just above the road. That is the start of an old stagecoach road that took the same grade down to the flat below. When they reached the river they took a ferry across that used a pulley on a cable. The ferry docked in front of this barn...
The barn is the object in the trees on the other side of the river in the first photo. The barn is a historic site now, as it was built in 1886. As you can see they are starting to restore the barn. Note the cupola on the roof, and the six sided grain silo. This site was called the Bernard Ferry and Ranch and in the 1880-early 1900s it was the quickest way to get to the gold and silver mines that are about 15 miles due south. The water in the center of the Bernard pool is about 15-20 feet deep and is a favorite sturgeon hole. They have caught sturgeon over 12' long here.
We moved to the head of the pool and I stopped to fish and let Bert out for a stretch at an island. This little fellow came walking out of the willows...
We never did see momma, but I'm sure she was around somewhere. We see lots of deer, beaver, mink, and waterfowl. There are also lots of osprey nesting along the river.
I did catch a few fish, but mainly I was a tour guide.
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

Beautiful area and pictures Phil

Don