Wood Rod does Good!

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Wood Rod does Good!

Post by john elder »

Yes, I cheated...went to a catch-and-release fly fishing pond here in the June Lake Loop to test-drive a couple of my wood rods. Took quite awhile to find something these jaded and full-of-hate trout would take...finally hit on a black cricket, which three found interesting enough to eat. This one scared hell out of me bringing it in for fear I'd break the rod, but it (the first pau ferro rod) performed like a champ...just can't treat 'em like glass or graphite, fer shur. Sorry pic is not to McAlpin standards, but I wanted to get this big boy back in the water asap.

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice fish and congratulations on both the catch and a great project rod.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

You shouldn't have left home....

Post by fishbugman »

Don't rush back John, the yellowtail have gone off on the kelps down here, easy limits of 10-20lb fish. The half-day boats even got 40 & 12 fork tails today. I am afraid as soon as you get back it will all be over.

The albies disappeared, but from the 9-mile bank to the limits of my boats range there is great dorado, yellowfin and a few bigeye tuna as well as the yellows.

Nice fish...
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, you owe me big-time, Bugman! I'll stay away so the bite stays on. ...and one thing about the mountains instead of the ocean...very little puking involved :D
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Let me know when you get home...these yellows are the pilot fish of a much bigger freight train coming up the line. When some of the 30-50lb fish show up game will be on. Looks like this could be best year in 4-5 and could last through November. About time...

Another plus, the halibut are everywhere. A couple boats had full 5 fish limits of 20lb+ fish with biggie a 55lb and I have never heard of such a thing down here. These are small fry compared to the Pacific Halibut, but for California Halibut they are sweet.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Nice fish Deke! Is that a Medalist? Bad Bob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, BB...Well, I'm betting it was made by Pflueger but it is a South Bend Finalist!...really sweet reel...runs better than the equivalent Medalist reel I have from the same time-frame.

You know, I must have taken this shot 40 times in the last 25 years...and still can't pass it up...dead quiet this AM, which is unusual for Silver Lake:

In contrast, the lower man-made lake, Grant Lake, is showing the effects of the shortfall in snowpack this year...lowest I have ever seen it:
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Make a good mental note of those boulders laying around Grant Lake. Next year when you go they might be under water holding all the fish.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, i mentioned that to Linda...thinking about all the trolling rigs that must be caught in those rock outcroppings...I'm sure there have been several people making harvests.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

John, fishbugman brings up a good point. Photograph the lake bottom now and note above the water line landmarks in relation to underwater structure. Mount the photos in a folder. You may never get the chance again and it makes a great reference.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Very nice John. How did the rod feel with a nice size fish on it?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Don/FBM: great idea...will do. Younguy, the rod did well on the retrieve, but just have to remember you can't go bending double like it was graphite. I have not fished 'boo, but imagine the wood and bamboo rods require about the same level of care. I actually liked the feel of casting the 4-strip ash rod I made better than this first effort pau ferro. However, I caught all the fish with the latter!...go figure!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

yee haw