This one's for Bert

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

This one's for Bert

Post by Reel Geezer »

Today I went to the river and fished the last place that I fished with Bert along. It was a typical October trip. I only caught 2 fish, but one was the dandy fish pictured below. This fish took a small plastic worm on a drop shot rig in about 10' of water. It was 20" and weighed 4.75 pounds. It was a very strong fish.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Wow, what a beauty! that would have elicited a great, big...er...well...yawn from Bert :D Can't wait til the Spring pics with the young-un in the boat...he will likely be a bit more "helpful", at least for awhile!
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Phil:

That's a fine looking smallmouth. Thursday I went to the upper Cowlitz river and enjoyed one of the most beautiful fall days in a very long time fishing for silver salmon and/or steelhead. Crisp in the morning and mildly warm after noontime, river high and clear, trees brilliant and leaves dropping like snow in the breeze; all in all a great day.

Didn't catch a thing and still had a great time. And this morning while driving up to our vet (20 miles north of our house), my wife commented on the incredible sight of not just the fall colors, but of the ability to see Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams and Mt. Rainier all with a fresh coating of snow, all at the same time, right there in front of our nose. A great time of the year!

Jim
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Phil,
Great looking fish!

John,
No fishing?

Jim,
Making me miss WA! Thems' beautiful hills.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Mine is not as impressive as Phil's fish (same length, slightly heavier, but a largemouth), but I figured I might as well show it off anyway. Caught this one late yesterday afternoon on a perch-colored jointed Rapala in less than two feet of water.

Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Nice fish, Bill. I think Bert would yawn at that one too. I'm guessing that Fudge would try to grab either fish by the tail and shake it to death. It doesn't look like you're having very nice fall weather.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Great fish Phil, and you too Bill. I look out over the muddy Ohio River and wish I was nearer to good fishing waters...

-- Dr. Todd
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Bill:

Fine looking bass, and a beautiful setting as well. And your wardrobe is all too familiar. For a change the rain gear wasn't needed Thursday, however the same gloves that you are wearing were covering my paws until early afternoon.

And you have some pretty neat hills in your backyard too Brian. Any snow on them yet?

And Geezer, we have a wonderful photo of our first Rottie girl Dixie licking the tail of a fine 17" rainbow which my wife had just caught, and was holding not quite high enough to keep it from being "taste tested".

Jim
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Phil, I was going to mention that you looked a lot more comfortable in your picture than I do in mine. Fall in Michigan has been very nice until this weekend, now temps are in the mid-40s to low-50s and it was raining yesterday. Today the wind chill is in the 30s, I really felt it while sitting through three hours of the kids' soccer games this morning.

We recently moved, the house over my right shoulder (left side of the picture) is actually our house ("new" being a relative term, it's a fixer-upper built in 1951). The lake is Goguac Lake, which is right in the middle of Battle Creek.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Wow! That's pretty neat, Bill. Is that your boathouse too? What species of fish do you have in your front yard?

When I'm on Lake Lowell I can't see our house due to the trees and brush. Of course that's where the deer, pheasants, quail, coyotes, ducks, geese, eagles, etc. etc. live.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Wow indeed! Nice digs Bill - fishing out your back door!

Jim, yes, there just happens to be a little snow on one of the hills.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Yes, that is our boat house and dock directly behind me in the picture. I actually caught the bass in a different, more shallow bay. The guy I was fishing with had not arrived yet, so the bass spent about 15 minutes in the live well until he arrived and took the pic, and then I released it. The shoreline drops off pretty fast off my frontage, we were probably in about 35' of water at the spot where the picture was taken. Goguac is an incredible fishery for a city lake, it's 375 surface acres and gets a lot of fishing pressure, but is full of big largemouth bass, also some good pike, perch, crappie, and bluegill.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

I sure do love fall fishing. My parents came up from Nebraska for the weekend, dad and I went fishing this morning for about four hours, only caught two fish. This bad boy went 36 inches and 9 1/2 pounds, dad got a 17" largemouth.

Last edited by Bill Muth on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

OK Bill. Now you're just rubbing it in. C'mon now!

I'm so jealous I can't see...

Dr. Todd
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Nice pike, Bill. That's one family (Esox) that I miss out here, locally. Last one I had on we were sharing a boat back at the NY Convention.