Catching Fish with your Own Lures

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Catching Fish with your Own Lures

Post by Teal »

I'm certainly no craftsman like our good Dr. Elder, but I do make and fish my own lures. Here's the results of my last vacation:

http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/2009 ... ition.html

-- Dr. Todd
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, Todd! The lures look great and obviously, the fish like them! At least yours make it out of the garage! Nice Smallie! I'm very jealous :D
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Hi John,

Thanks! Not works of art like yours, but they do work. I guess I'm the Montague of hand made lure makers...no flash, but serviceable equipment!

Drop me a note and let me know what day you're coming down...

Cheers,

Todd
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

home made lures

Post by Chuck Gano »

wow nice fish nothing like making your own lure and then catching a nice fish with it, reminds me of the winter i spent making musky bucktails and the next summer all but 1 of the muskys we caught were on those lures,not a real tough lure to make and proably no cheaper but the satisfaction of doing it yourself is priceless, i like the turtles, any luck with those?

charlie
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Hi Charlie,

I've been making those turtles for at least 20 years. I am sure the fish mistake them for frogs, so they tend to work better later in the season rather than earlier. They are made from cork, and I've had good luck on them for bass. Some of them have a weedless hook which is deadly when bass lie in the lilly pads. One of my favorite lures!

Love the musky bucktails. I started out making big musky and pike lures and worked my way down...

-- Dr. Todd
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

todd,

my son started carving wood musky lures shortly after his first legal fish, he was about 8yrs. old the darn things worked too, we were in the boulder junction area of northern wisc. and ran into the musky legend joe bucher he showed him one of his latest creations and joe encouraged him to keep up the good work, he said thats how he started his lure business,its great when people like that take the time to encourage young kids, my son whos in his mid 20's now still carves lures out of old shovel handles and catches fish with them,theres so many ways fishing keeps people grounded and close,that phrase "take a kid fishing" should be a law no matter where we go or what we do my son and i will always have our love of fishing to keep us together, cant wait to take his son with us and pass all this on to him,take care,
charlie gano
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Charlie,

Great for you! Boulder Junction is awesome; I fish the Hayward Lakes area north of there. Been down the shovel handle road--used just about every large, round piece of wood I could find to make lures. Took me years to get a Punkinseed-style lure to work well; tough shape to get to come through the water right. Some lures caught fish, many didn't. But all were fun to make. Joe Bucher is a legendary name around those parts, his bucktails did (and do) catch big fish.

My fondest memories are carving lures with my dad and brothers and fishing them. Another Wisconsin legend was Tony Burmek, I have a great story about him I'll save for a rainy day. Like Bucher, a great guy.

Take care, and keep fishing with your son (and grandson)!

Dr. Todd
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice fish, Dr. Todd!