fall walleye on Saginaw bay

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
waterbug
Frequent Board Poster

fall walleye on Saginaw bay

Post by waterbug »

I met up with Mark aka reel fishin at the DNR launchat9:00 am. and we headed out to the dumping ground for the 1st spot to fish...
Mark set and tended the rod all day as I tried to stay on the one and only waypoint that we set...
I took a while to find the pod of fish [may be an hour or hour1/2...
The Eyes were caught on DDJH10 as Mark calls it a pinki lee... or something like that... but I think all the others are calling it a pink glass minnow...
That bait took 5 of the 10 we boated... all at 60' back in 17FOW...
and the other 5 came on little rippers a couple of colors [don't ask cause I don't know there names...] but there were also in a pink or purple/lavender color... I do believe that they also were 60' back...
4 of fish measure 24'' and 2[at] 23'' and the rest 20''-17''was the short one..
All in all great day of fishing... I would like to thank Mark for the company... we had a great time fishing... You have an open invite to fish on my boat...
the fishing this fall on the bay has been very good, with the weather pattern we've been in for the past week or two... with lite winds and mild temps... man it has been the best time in alot of years...
Here's some *18 and older content*
sorry for the size of this pic... 2 different cameras.
out on the water...

two man limit

one man limit with the pinki lee
waterbug
Frequent Board Poster

made it back out 2 more times

Post by waterbug »

Like the title show's...
fished Saturday and Sunday 28th&29th...
pretty much the same store as on Tuesday's trip. but with Sunday being slower ,but with a couple of bonus's...
sunday we picked up 1lake trout [season closed] it's still swimming...
and caught 1 northern pike, 29-30'' 6lbs, we did manage 8 walleye for the day the largest being 28'' 5-6lbs.
pic's of Saturday and sunday's trips

saturday's limit

sunday's catch

laker

nice walleye sunday

Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. No more walleye fishing for me until the ice comes so catch a few for me.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Thanks for posting the photos and report. No walleye where I live, but I'm still catching a few smallmouth out here. I was able to catch 4 in a couple of hours this afternoon. Water temps are now down to 40-42 degrees.

Nice Lowe boat. I've owned two of them - one similar to yours.
waterbug
Frequent Board Poster

Post by waterbug »

Reel Geezer wrote:Thanks for posting the photos and report. No walleye where I live, but I'm still catching a few smallmouth out here. I was able to catch 4 in a couple of hours this afternoon. Water temps are now down to 40-42 degrees.

Nice Lowe boat. I've owned two of them - one similar to yours.
some of the larger river systems have some very large walleye's in them...
I think the snake river does...
thank you for the complement on the boat... it's a 17.9 fishing machine...
I have it set up to fish for ant thing hear in Michigan... from pan fish to great lake trolling for salmon...

rob
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

Nice fish , looks like a lot of fun. Kind of makes me wish that I did not put the boat away for the winter. But with the ice on the pond every morning. I know that Ice fishing is not far off.
waterbug
Frequent Board Poster

Post by waterbug »

BirdDog wrote:Nice fish , looks like a lot of fun. Kind of makes me wish that I did not put the boat away for the winter. But with the ice on the pond every morning. I know that Ice fishing is not far off.
my boat never get winterized... out board motor all you really have to do is lower down the the motor so the water drains out of the lower unit... and some stable add to the the gas if it sits for more that a couple months...
Plus its stored in a semi heated attached garage...
It has been a very unusual November this year... if the Saginaw river dose not freeze up this winter it will be used at least once a week...
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

No walleye in the Snake... yet. It's probably just a matter of time since they are doing great in the Columbia. I've discussed it with our Idaho F&G Dept, but since the Snake waters run into several other states, they + the feds all have a say in what can, or cannot be done with our waters. Salmon and steelhead rule over all other species here,
waterbug
Frequent Board Poster

Post by waterbug »

Reel Geezer wrote:
No walleye in the Snake... yet. It's probably just a matter of time since they are doing great in the Columbia. I've discussed it with our Idaho F&G Dept, but since the Snake waters run into several other states, they + the feds all have a say in what can, or cannot be done with our waters. Salmon and steelhead rule over all other species here,
yep the Columbia river thats the one I was thinking of...
werpmolens
Frequent Board Poster

Post by werpmolens »

Hello,

So nice to see that the Walleye you catch are caught on the same lures as I use in the Netherlands for Zander.
I fish a deep river with high current, mostly trolling in 5 meter of water for the big ones.
Do you also use jigheads with softbait.?

Jan Haanstra