2010 River Report

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

2010 River Report

Post by Reel Geezer »

Since it seems a little slow this morning, I thought I'd inject a little fishing into Reel Talk. As a New Years resolution I set a goal of catching a smallmouth from the river each month of 2010. Last year I didn't fish until March, and then quit the end of November. I think that December will probably be the hardest month.

January was tough, but I did catch one nice 16" fish. February produced a few fish, but nothing over 14". March should bring on lots of fish, but I have never found this to be the case. I have caught several already this month, but I have never been able to figure them out to where I can consistently catch fish in March. I did catch this very nice 17.5" fish a little over a week ago so March is now conquered.
Fudge doesn't mind fishing in the winter at all. He immediately heads into the water and takes a swim. Water temps are now in the low to mid 40's. He has apparently set a goal of falling out of the boat every month in 2010, and accomplished his goal in January and February, but so far he hasn't done a belly flop in March.
orourke
Super Board Poster

rescue efforts?

Post by orourke »

How do you get him back in? Does he wait until you are all settled back in and then shake all the excess water from his body to yours?

Your dog sounds as goofy as mine. Haven't taken mine fishing. He gets his excercise chasing cats, squirrels and birds.

They sure are fun aren't they?

Dave "O"
Last edited by orourke on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Phil,

That's an awesome fish! Congrats. That fish has some beautiful coloring.

-- Dr. Todd
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Re: rescue efforts?

Post by Reel Geezer »

orourke wrote:How do you gethim back in? Does he wait until you are all settled back in and then shake all the excess water from his body to yours?

Your dog sounds as goofy as mine. Have taken mine fishing. He gets his excercise chasing cats, squirrels and birds.

They sure are fun aren't they?

Dave "O"
Dave, Fudge just swims around a while and then comes to the boat and I grab his collar and swing him in. As you've guessed, of course he then shakes all over me. The only time he really panicked was when I was traveling about 30-35 MPH and he went off the bow. He was 100 yards downstream before I got turned around. The motor is a jet, so he couldn't get hurt.

Todd, I thought that was a beauty of a fish with it's perfect tail, and no marks or scars.
cws/carl schultz
Advanced Board Poster

fishing

Post by cws/carl schultz »

phil Im so jealous my boats been in my back yard for two years[yes the same one i had at raystown] but have hopes to finally get it back on the water sorry to hear about bert but sounds like you got another winner with fudge so what is your reels of choice now? seems i recall you were into the 70-80 [seems like just yesterday] catch one for me carl
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Beyootiful fish, Phil.