The magic touch.

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

The magic touch.

Post by Reel Geezer »

Ah, the magic touch. I've had it this week. We have had a bit of warmer weather so I've been spending some time on the river. I've been catching a few of those beautiful bronze colored smallmouth bass each trip, but have hung two dandies with a lighter silver color phase. Both took a pumpkin colored 2.5" fat tube on a light dropshot rig and gave me all I could ask for in a fight. It appears I've got the pattern down for those light colored ones, but I'd sure like to get one of the bronze ones that would match this light colored one I caught this afternoon (note the green jacket to celebrate St. Patrick's Day). I'd guess it weighed in around 15 pounds and it sure fought like crazy.
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Is Fudge taking those pictures? If so he is quite talented.

Dave "O"
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Yowza! If you're trying to make us all jealous it is working. Well done!

-- Dr. Todd
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, now that's a really, really, really small mouth! :D

.been told they taste great out of cold water if you fix em right...somthing about burying in the back yard! :D

(me?...Jealous? Nah! )
Tony Malatesta
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tony Malatesta »

Am i missing something or is that not a Carp? Nice 1 anyway.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Yes Tony, it's a carp. Geezer humor isn't too funny at times. Yesterday I fished the same stretch of river for a couple of hours and the only fish I caught was a sucker - on that same tube. I couldn't believe it. I didn't take its picture.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Never personally had the displeasure to taste carp, but there must be something worthwhile to eat in there. When I lived in Oregon, I met a gas station owner who would fill my 6 gallon gas tank in trade for every 10-20lb carp I brought him. I took him carp 2-3 times a week and he never told me to stop.

On light to medium bass fishing gear, I bet that was a fun half hour Phil!
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Phil,
That's a great "bugle mouth" bass! I bet your closer to those smallies than you think with a bruiser like that around. I can't remember if I told you about all the big carp I see swimming with big smallmouth here in upstate NY waters. Seemed every time I spotted one in shallow water I'd see the other. Either the smallies are paying protection money to those brutes or the carp are just looking to hang out with the "cool" kids!
Tony Malatesta
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tony Malatesta »

Shame on me for not getting the joke.Up here we have thousands of people that deliberately fish for these monsters during spawning season and 40 lb.er.s are not uncommon.They put up a great fight but anything over 5 lbs. is all fat and only fit for fertilizer.And lets not forget about the Asian carp that are about to infest the Great Lakes.Catch 1 and kill it and you,ll be doing everyone and the eco system a great favor. canadian
cws/carl schultz
Advanced Board Poster

carp

Post by cws/carl schultz »

I have in the past fished for carp on purpose some corn and a limber pole and hang on its hard to believe these fish were originally imported as a game fish in europe they catch and release them I remember a time ago a sport show that used to be on here in mich had a person come over from england just to fish for our trophy carp in my earlier days used to go to a small creek by my house and bow&arrow for carp they acually are clever little suckers you had to sneak up on them to get a shot had some of them break 50lb test line i had on my arrows when i got one just tossed it on shore for the critters to eat never made a dent in the population despite shooting 3-4 times a week and getting 1-2 every time if this new carp is any near as prolithic we are in deep trouble