Snake River in trouble.- WITH PICTURES

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Snake River in trouble.- WITH PICTURES

Post by Reel Geezer »

Two very crafty fishermen have joined me to put a hurt on the smallmouth bass. Roger Schultz and Dave Erickson arrived at the Geezer place over the weekend. Today we tested the waters and caught (and released) 106 smallmouth in 7 hours of fishing. Things were busy most of the day. Nothing of real picture size, but quite a few hard fighting 13-15" smallies.

Four more fishing days to follow. Fudge helped Dave land his largest fish by swimming out and herding it in to shore.

Photos to follow.
Last edited by Reel Geezer on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Them "Bass Dogs" are amazing, I'll never understand how they do it. Yer a lucky "Ol Feller" Phil.
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

Are those FWS guys logging the size, weight, and stomach contents of them all?
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Jason, those two guys wouldn't know how to cut open a fish to find its stomach. They are typical government paper pushers.

It was quite hot today and we only caught 69 fishing from 7:30-1;00, so we came home and had a nice lunch with the rubber reel lady. Now it beer and chips day.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

c'mon...put the rod down for 5 and take some pics! We have to have the usual pictorial...can almost smell wet dog from here! :D
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Phil...John is right, pics would clear things up. Otherwise, one might think that Fudge is catchin' all the Bass and the 3 boys are just drinkin' beer on the bank. :shock:
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

It has always amazed me at how acute a dogs hoarding instinct gets when you give him one beer. Better not stash the six-pack in the water on the shoreline to stay cold or you might run into a five beer to the wind dog growling at you when you reach for the last one.
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

No pics, Hmmm...sumpin' smells fishy!

David
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :D

Good to have Friends who love ya, huh Phil!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

OK, the devastation is over. We caught 78 yesterday and 79 today. The total for the 5 day event was 403. Everyone is worn out including Fudge. I will post pictures either tomorrow or Sunday. Roger flies home to Georgia tomorrow noon and Dave will pull out sometime? For the fishermen in the crowd the Zoom Fluke was the best bait with pearl the best color. The biggest fish, however, came on a drop shot rig using leach type baits.

The sweet corn is good and the tomatoes are garden fresh and the beer will flow after we eat this afternoon. The American Pickers are going through my shop and office and a few things are changing hands.

Pictures coming up when I have some spare time.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

OK, here's some photos from last week. The river is resting today, but I'll be back down there tomorrow.
On the first day, Roger opened the gates with this nice smallmouth.

After Roger and I had both put a couple of fish in the boat, Dave finally hit paydirt. Note that Roger is using a Meisselbach net on the fish.

Fudge got in the action and helped Dave land this fish. The background gives you a pretty good view of why there is no cell phone reception with the volcanic rimrock surrounding the river.

Here you can see how much help Fudge is in the boat. Sorry about cutting off your head, Roger.

Roger shows off his fish while Dave gets busy and hooks one of his own. We all had fish on at least 6 times one day.

Dave explained some of the petroglyphs on this rock along the river. It is an ancient map of the Snake River.

Back to the fishing, Dave shows the average size fish we caught on the trip. We weighed several 12" fish and found them to be just over a pound of muscle. As J. Henshall said "Inch for inch and pound for pound, The gamest fish that swims."

Roger and Dave pose with a better than average smallie.

On Wednesday while those two were casting to the dinks along the shoreline, I dropped a leach imitation off the bow and pulled up this 17" smallmouth.

That one didn't impress them enough, so Thursday morning I pulled this 19.25" fish out of 12' of water. This fish weighed 3.5 pounds.

We took a break so that Fudge could get out and run around one of the many USFW Service islands that dot the river. Dave also wet his tootsies.

Here we made our final drift back to the launch ramp. After we tallied up the score for the 5 days of fishing we found our weary arms had landed 403 smallmouth. Not too bad. We only saw one other boat all week.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Am back home resting after a hard week of fishing. This was my second trip to the Snake River and it was outstanding. Catching the number of fish we did was unreal. Although Phil may have caught a few more than Dave and myself. Phil and Marilyn were great hosts to Dave and myself. The food was great and the followship was outstanding. It was a good week. Fudge was happy to have more people to play with. He did wonder about the extra people in the boat each day.

Roger
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Whoo-Hoo! That's some fishing! :D
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

thanks for sharing!

Post by Richard Lodge »

Great photos and excellent narrative. Thanks for sharing your excellent smallmouth fishing adventure with everyone on ReelTalk, Phil, Roger and Dave (and Fudge).
:D