Can I Blame Al Gore?

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Can I Blame Al Gore?

Post by Reel Geezer »

We haven't had the weather problems like some of you from the SE, but we have sure had a screwy spring. Idaho is closing out the wettest and coldest April in history. This morning I awoke to about an inch of snow in the yard. We have well over 100% of average snow all over the state. One ski resort is still open. The Snake River near our place is running between 5-9' over average flow, which has kept me off the river for the past month. Luckily I have a lake in my front yard, and a ramp 3 miles down the road. Fishing for largemouth has been erratic, with rain, snow and high winds as fronts went through. Luckily, I have had two real good evenings, one with 17 fish and one with 13. This one has been my best so far.

The lake is a large irrigation reservoir that is filled by a 50 mile long canal. The lake was filling nicely and headed toward maximum capacity, when water was discovered in a parking lot at a Boise grocery store. This water was traced to a leak in the lake filling canal. Whoops! Now the canal is shut off and repairs are being made. Meanwhile the lake level is dropping and the fish are moving back out of the shallow brush

Al seems to find it easy to blame every natural weather problem on what is now called "Climate Change", since global warming didn't seem to fit anymore. Is is OK if I blame all my fishing problems on Al?
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Nice Lunker there Phil...you can blame anything you want on Al. If he feels threatened, he'll just change the name of the program and fade from view.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

maybe he was eating potatoes?
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Blaming Al Gore for Global Warming is the same as killing the messenger.

Man is a funny creature. He will believe anything that falls into the category of the norm and disbelieve anything that upsets his apple cart. :(
Scientists are discredited by politicians (and we all know how knowledgeable politicians are). Here is a interesting statistic:

""One of the most arresting facts about the data is how fast the levels of CO2 is climbing. The speed or rate of change (about 1.2 ppm per year) is widely believed to unparalleled in the history of the earth.""
http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/ ... armA3.html

This statistic represents the time period between 1955 and 1995.

The waters are rising but the human awareness is stagnant.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Recorded history starts about 5000 years ago in the Near Eastern river alleys of Sumer and Egypt. Reliable surface temperature records exist, only since about 1850.

The math alone says that those statistics represent approx. 0.008% of our recorded history. And our recorded "weather history" comprises about 0.032% of our knowledge of the Earth's patterns.

Couldn't agree with ya more that mankind "...will believe anything that falls into the category of the norm and disbelieve anything that upsets his apple cart."

Have we all decided on "Global Warming" or "Climate Change"? I haven't stayed current, so there's probably more options out there by now.

Al?

(with complete respect for all opinions on the subject)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

wrong forum, Kidz..you're peeing on a great fishing post! Let's go over to anythingbutreels and Bad Bob can jump in with his thoughts...assuming his boat motor will start :-]

deke
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Well, it is a sure thing that the Earth changes on its own. It gets hot and it gets cold. We have ice ages and hot ages without the interference of the human element.

I am no scientist, I am only a observer. My observations are that the planet is changing but the rate of change is faster than other changes in Earth History. I believe that today's human element is affecting the natural balance of how changes happen. I guess I could surf the net and put a dozen of so links here to back up what I am saying but that is not necessary.

What I feel it all comes down to in a nutshell is, today's modern industrial world is dumping more dirt into the atmosphere than any other previous time in Earth's history. That must be causing something out of the norm.

I also feel that we are no threat to the planet at all. We are a threat to ourselves. The planet has been through much more dramatic dirt than modern man's dirt. Earth simply changes, when its inhabitants can no longer tolerate the change, they become extinct... The planet simply moves along with a smile.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Mikey...we've been duely "spanked". See Deke's post. We gotta leave this sandbox and go next door. (:-) Rick)
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Sorry about the wrong turn in this post. We are not really talking about Global Warming messing up your lake, Phil. We are talking about infrastructure.

Hope they get that canal fixed soon. :shock:

That is a very nice bass. :)
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I'm sorry this thread got going. I just wanted to show off my bass and complain about the weather. Isn't that what fishermen do?

Anyway, the canal is fixed, the lake is filling again, but slowly due to irrigation demands. I had a great evening last night, catching 16 largemouth with 3-17"; 2-16"; and the rest 12-16". It was lots of fun, and a good diversion while I wait for the river to drop a bit. It is still running 6-8' above average flow.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

LOL...Phil...no apologies. We'll blame it on Al, he's a good sport, he can handle it. :wink:
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Hello Phil,

Your river sounds like it might be a bit wild. Can you fish it if it is that high :?:

There are massive flooding problems all over the country, I hope you are not affected.