More of a..."Show and Receive"?

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

More of a..."Show and Receive"?

Post by Rick H »

Folks...having trouble making a decision. I have a nice little 9-1/2' Winchester Rod (c. late 30's) and I can't pin down a good looking reel to marry up with the rod. I think it should be a 3" reel, but have no "reel" idea as to make or model. Totally hoping that your suggestions will help me pin something down. Probably should be a late 30's early 40's reel, for esthetic value anyway. Toss me ideas...PLEASE?!

:?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?:

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

these are probably too Blue Collar for you Rick, but I think any one of these reels would work on your rod (Left to right: Pfl Medalist; couple versions of the Shakes Russel; SB Russell Rip-off; Pfl. Gem :

I think the typical Winchester skeleton reel would be too old for your particular rod. If you wanted to make a nice upgrade, try a Julius like this one or a 4-bros Delite or Pfl Golden West:

Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Hi Rick:

That is a fine looking old fly rod. And the reels that John posted are all good choices. If you were to choose one of them, the early Russell (Olive Drab finish) would be period correct, as would the Pflueger Gem. And the pre WWII Pflueger Medalist would be a fine choice as well.

As for size, given the 9 1/2' rod, the 1895 Russell or the 3 1/4" 2094 Gem/1494 Medalist would fit nicely.

There are a bunch of other fine reels to choose from as well, so have fun in your quest.

Jim
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

John & Jim...Thanks for the inputs (twice John). I've been leaning toward the Gem and the Russell is a close 2nd. Just hoping for a little more diversity in possibilities. But I definitely want to stay period correct.

Jim...any chance you could pin down this rod a bit more for me? Yer a strong Winny resource from what I've heard. No model stamps...just Made in USA, Winchester decal and "Northern Special" in black script above the decal by about 6-8 inches. Rocky Mountain Series?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

It certainly doesn't have a "Western grip" on it, so don't think it was the Northern Rockys they had in mind with that series. I'll check my Sinclair tonight and see what I can find, although Jim and Phil can probably do that by heart.

You could even do something totally blasphemous by putting one of those great early Meiss. automatics on that rod, methinks!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I could sink the butt-end in concrete and make a Flag Pole too. That'd be about the same result. :wink:
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Rick,
Since you're going to sink the butt end in concrete why not wash that grip with a little Dawn dish washing detergent and a soft toothbrush? It'll look like new. Get all that fish scum off it.
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Winchester stuff

Rick:

You must have another Jim mixed up with me. Wish I could help, but unfortunately I know more about the Winchester Mystery House (in San Jose, just south of my old home stomping grounds in the bay area) than I do about their fishing stuff. Our good friend Phil White is very familiar with Winchester, and can surely help you out.

And the Pflueger Gem would be a great choice to mate with that Winchester rod. A fine reel for sure.

And please don't stick that pole in concrete. On more than one occasion my wife has threatened to use some of my favorite old rods for tomato stakes in her veggie patch!

Jim
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

:lol: :lol: Good catch Don! I figured that since I polished up the German Silver seat and the Ferrules, I should leave the cork "patina" as is. But now that you've surfaced the issue and the General Public knows that I'm not the only one that scrubs "patina" off...I'll do it in your honor!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: I use Oxy Clean...works great!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

LOL...anybody ever mention that there's a few characters around here?! Humor is alive and well!

Any more "reel" suggestions?
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Don made me do it... :shock:

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

are those buffing wheel marks in that cork? :D

So, you got any assorted fly reels up there to test drive? If so, I think it's time for a fashion show!

ps: I had your wallet in mind with the above reel suggestions. Of course, you can't go wrong if you want to step up to a Hardy Perfect 3 1/4 or a St. George...or a Uniqua...Let's just see what kind a man you really are! :D

Well, mumbling of the devil!

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/ ... rdy?page=1
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Oh now...that's just MEAN! I'm going back to cleaning up this cork! And how dare you imply that I use a "buffing wheel"?!
:lol: :lol:

Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Rick, that rod is one that was either made in the early 1930's by Winchester, or more likely, it was assembled by H-I after the Winchester purchase. I note the nickel plated reel seat and ferrules and the decal. I believe that all Winchester rods from the 1920's used nickel silver fittings and the Winchester name, trade mark, and the rod number were all stamped in the metal of the reel seat.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

geez, all that DNA on the grip made quite a mess! :D

just looking at what Michael Sinclair's restoration book says about Winchester and it isn't alot. he indicates that they had sold out to H-I by 1935, but imply that they continued to use the Winchester name for some time. The H-I rods apparently had the Winchester label, with the model name just upstream in white ink, with writing heading back toward the grip. Unless yours has been redone, it appears to be black and heading away from the grip, so that sounds like it was on the upstream side of '35, eh? I'll keep digging until Phil gets off the river.

Ha...now that's funny...I see Phil got off the river while I was droning on :D

Re Phil's last comment, that's pretty much what Sinclair says as well...and they had Edwards there til 1924. However, they made three grades of rods and there was substantial variation across those grades.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Thanks guys. It's definitely not an Edwards rod, so I guess it's a mute point. I don't have a lot of experience with rods, but with what little I do know (and see) this doesn't appear to be a re-build. Aging/patina across the rod was pretty uniform. And as John saw earlier, there was a home made "reel tie" loops soldered to the seat. That was aged equivelantly.

Phil...I may have to pick your brain a little after the book arrives.

John...SLAP! :lol:
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Okay...It was recommended that I offer a "Fashion Show". I don't know how to set up a Survey or Vote, so just fire me your choice via PM, eMail, or a contact note (to the left) on this Site.

Here's 9 Candidate Reels for the Winchester Rod. HELP...?!
(I think Deke slipped a ringer in, that I'd forgotten about)

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif? ... votes.html
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

My top 3 pics:

1. 1885 Russell...just like Wiggy said
2. 270 Featherweight
3. Meiss-Catucci
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Matching reel survey

OK Rick:

Just like John (almost) said, the Pflueger 2094 Gem will do nicely.

And I hope Phil got you pointed in the right direction with that neat Winchester rod. You have a winner there.

Jim