New to Reel Collecting

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
1FSHNDAD
Frequent Board Poster

New to Reel Collecting

Post by 1FSHNDAD »

I am new to this collecting reels thing but I am reely :wink: enjoying it. This is part of what I have come up with so far.

Shakespeare 1924
Nubby
Shakespeare 1972
JW Young Pridex and a SureKast
The Grilse
nomdeplume57
Advanced Board Poster

Post by nomdeplume57 »

You are off to REELY good start . Only problem you will have is quitting... :lol:
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Great start to your collection! Both the Direct Drive Shakespeare and the Pflueger Nobby are nifty, durable reels. Lots of people on this board and elsewhere clean them up and fish with them, matching them to period rods. One of the great things about collecting reels is you are able to take them out for a test drive every now and then (try THAT with a 100 year old fishing lure!).

You absolutely can't go wrong collecting Shakespeare or Pflueger -- there are enough affordable reels from both companies to make it easy to build a nice collection, and enough tough ones to make it a challenge. But of course, collect what interests you!

Welcome and make yourself at home! We love reels and love sharing our passion with people like yourself.

-- Dr. Todd
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I agree with NdP and Teal, you're off to a great start! And the Shakes reels are a great place for a kick-off because you can also find lots of parts reels to fix the handle and bearing cap issues. There are lots of little differences that make it all interesting, but also make you pay attention when you start to put those reels back whole! I'm not one of them, but there are lots of people that cruise this board that can help you in identifying the right parts for the right reel. Good luck and we all look forward to seeing pics of your new finds!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

The guys are right on. You have a great mix there to start with. It's all a matter of preference and interest...YOUR's. Your first reel kinda stood out for me and highlights the diversity behind this hobby. That Shakespeare Inglis alone, could turn into a large and interesting collection. There are quite a few Inglis still available and some that are rather rare. So if you picked Inglis made Shakespeares as your main focus, you could be quite busy and end up with a very interesting collection. -Welcome Aboard -
orourke
Super Board Poster

surekast

Post by orourke »

Wanna trade something for the surekast?

Dave "O"
1FSHNDAD
Frequent Board Poster

would love to but

Post by 1FSHNDAD »

Just about any other reel Dave, that Surekast was my Dad's, I found it after cleaning out my Grampa's garage. That reel was what kinda got me started in collecting reel.

Cheers.

DK