Daiwa Millionaire V

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
pboss
Big ORCA Fan

Daiwa Millionaire V

Post by pboss »

I just picked up a Daiwa Millionaire V baitcasting reel. This reel looks to be virtually the same reel as an Ambassadeur 5000C. I am curious to know if these reels were produced under license from ABU Garcia or if they are a very good copy? Any information regarding the history of these reels is greatly appreciated.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Daiwa Millionaire V

Post by Reel Geezer »

Abu sued Daiwa over that reel,and Daiwa changed the design a bit to avoid a payoff. One of the greatest "reel" stories is in Len Borgstrom's ABU book about how he met with Daiwa officers and lawyers about this Millionaire. He had both reels in parts on a table and then mixed them all up. He then assembled two reels using parts from each reel and each reel worked perfectly. Daiwa gave up and settled the suit.
pboss
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Daiwa Millionaire V

Post by pboss »

Thank you Phil. I appreciate your response. I suspected it was either a very good copy or it was manufactured under license from ABU. This certainly clears things up.

I hope you have had a nice holiday.

Phil