True Temper Rod

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JBBARNES
Big ORCA Fan

True Temper Rod

Post by JBBARNES »

I'm new to ORCA and wanted to share a photo of a true temper rod that I recently purchased. The rod is stamped with both patents that were granted in 1930 as well as the word "oxford". The reel seat says "patent pending". It is in really good condition. Was wondering if anyone has come across a true temper this old.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Re: True Temper Rod

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Oxford is one of the more "affordable" grades made by True Temper (American Fork and Hoe) and due to its low cost was sold in almost every hardware store. True Temper started advertising their square steel rods around 1926. They are decent casters in the 4 & 1/2 ft length and as Ernst Radke wrote in 1955 it is one of the few rods one can back the car over with no appreciable damage--LOL.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Here are some photos I shot of Bill Sonnett's set of True Temper steel tournament rods. This was the highest grade of rod at the time. They were said to be Al Foss's preferred tournament rod. The patent is kind of hard to read, but is No US 1755159 granted in April 1930 to R.H. Cowdery.

Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wow. Very nice!
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024