My collection of reels, lure making and the reel I designed made by The Watermole

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
spinner-g
Big ORCA Fan

My collection of reels, lure making and the reel I designed made by The Watermole

Post by spinner-g »

Hey folks, hope you all had a lovely Christmas and I wish you all a very Happy New Year...

It has been sometime that I posted on here, sadly I have had a very difficult few years for many reasons which I do not want to bore you with...

Getting out and going Fishing for me is now very difficult having lost most of my mobility, I did not manage to get out once last year as it is now (2023) ....

Making my lures has also very much taken a back step.

I have spent so much time bed ridden but used that time to think, research and search worldwide adding to my collection of vintage fishing tackle.

I say vintage in the broadest of terms, as my pieces range from antique (100 years old plus) to the latest technology, but the majority is at least 50 years old..

Somehow, as if by magic, I seem to have amassed over 400 reels now, thousands of lures and flies, many rods and also a fair few accessories and nice oddments, carvings, art etc etc etc..

I do not stick to or prefer any one maker, instead I choose reels by design, build quality, unusual features (I love levers), aesthetics and of course how they are in use. I have many of the classics as well as quite a few rare pieces, one-offs, limited editions etc and reels of all types, fly, spinning, centrepin, baitcaster....

The list is endless, it is my out & out passion.... an addict I am I guess....

During the past few years, I have also been very lucky in effect that I have designed and commissioned to be made several reels. Both centrepin reels, one entirely of titanium build and the other something quite special even though I say so myself...

As well as that, I designed and made a set of 10 very unique one-off lures in conjuction with a friend of mine in Greece who is a very talented designer and Jeweller by trade. Each one of the 10 lures is totally individual and unique.

Contemporary handmade folk lures, that are in the style of a classic from the 1930's
An Ode and beautifully elegant re-imagining of the Hudik-draget from Axel Sjoholm of Hudiksvall, Sweden.

A few of you may remember I live in France, in an old stone farmhouse parts of which date back to the 1600's in the Dordogne countryside 3km outside a town called Sarlat-la-Caneda..

I have now dedicated my entire office space to what I refer to as my "little museum of fishing"...

I have slowly built this up and now it really is full of everything piscatorial from yesteryear, it is my haven, where I sit to forget about the madness that surrounds us in this world we live in and shortly will also be the place in which I tie my flies on one of the many vises in my collection....

Well, I hope I have not bored you to tears with this post and that you are still awake as I am going to post a few pictures here of my collection, one of the centrepin reels I designed which was made by The Watermole in the UK (a four year process including tracking him down, joining the waiting list and then an eight month build, with many conversations back and to across the British Channel) and also some of the lures I spoke of...

It really is lovely to be back....

Goodbye for now

Fondest regards

Giles

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: My collection of reels, lure making and the reel I designed made by The Watermole

Post by john elder »

Wow, just gorgeous, Giles! Both the new reel and all your other tackle! Also love that region of France, where i learned the joys of REAL pate’ !

Happy New Year!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: My collection of reels, lure making and the reel I designed made by The Watermole

Post by Paul Roberts »

Sorry to hear you are unable to get out fishing. But, wow, what an amazing museum to spend your creative time in.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Thanks for sharing your wonderful collection and your new reel.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Giles,

Thanks for sharing your world. The crystal minnows are breathtakingly wonderful. I cannot remember being more shocked after viewing tackle. The reel you designed is sublime. Will have to study the rest.

May you prosper in the year of 2024.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

It's a fantastic collection of tackle. I need to download the pictures for a better view, but I do recognise various Aerials and the Adcock Stanton.

Watermole does indeed produce some fine reels.
spinner-g
Big ORCA Fan

Post by spinner-g »

Thank you for your very kind comments ladies and gentlemen...

I am considering re-homing some of the contemporary folk lures soon, one at a time, exclusively on my page, so please take a look there and like and follow the page to keep informed.

One of the 10 has sold already and I shall be keeping 4 for my collection, so there will be 5 for sale over the course of the following months...

To stay updated, here is the link to my page ... www.facebook.com/theSpinnerG

Warm regards
Giles
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

A tremendous collection, Giles. Thank you for sharing so many photos so we can study each display and see the many excellent lures and reels. That reel you designed is stunning!
I hope 2024 brings you better health and a lot of sunshine in your corner of France.
Best regards,
Richard
Paul9591
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Paul9591 »

Breathtakingly beautiful imagery Giles! And what a collection!

I love the Thruppenny bit insert on that gorgeous centerpin reel (I have some of those in a jar here; my bus fare to my local lake when I was a kid).

Paul
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Wow! I would love to down a few pints of Bishops Finger and talk tackle in that room!
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

I have never seen anything like your reels and lures. Your imagination is endless. Thank you for including your Facebook page. I am in awe.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Wow!! Can I come over?
Mark