A few Ocean City Questions?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Biggamereels1988
Frequent Board Poster

A few Ocean City Questions?

Post by Biggamereels1988 »

Hello guys! 2 questions I have for ya guys.

#1 The St.Paul box I have has a # 31/35. Was that the production run of these little reels? I don’t see any sold listings on worth point about the reel at all. I own the collectors Guide Mike put together which is amazing but it doesn’t say anything about this. So do you think this is 31 out of 35 made?

#2 this Old Brigitine Box shows white lettering on the side plate of the reel. Does anyone have any existing examples of that? I’d really love to see it. Thanks.

Bonus .. if you own any older style boxes or ocean city reels that you’d like to part with. Please Message me.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: A few Ocean City Questions?

Post by Eric J »

I can’t imagine that a big company like OC would tool up and print boxes for just for 35 reels. There must be some other significance to those numbers?
Biggamereels1988
Frequent Board Poster

I was thinking the same thing Eric. Has anyone seen those numbers on the top of Old Ocean City boxes? Also, the print with the name of the reel on the reel. Does any exist?
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Regarding the St. Paul, there is some additional information in this thread, including a picture of the catalog entry and a different style box:

viewtopic.php?p=114103&hilit=ocean+city ... ul#p114103
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Biggamereels1988
Frequent Board Poster

Wow what a thread! That clear St. Paul must be a prototype.. it’s amazing. Wonder if those in the thread still have em?
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

Yes I do, it in the reel room.
Bruce Harlan
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Biggamereels1988 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:37 pm Wow what a thread! That clear St. Paul must be a prototype.. it’s amazing. Wonder if those in the thread still have em?
I sold the box to Bruce to pair with the reel, hopefully he will see this thread and weigh in.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

I still don’t know any more about it other than Bill sent me a wonderful box for it to live in.
Bruce Harlan
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

#1 The St.Paul box I have has a # 31/35. Was that the production run of these little reels? I don’t see any sold listings on worth point about the reel at all. I own the collectors Guide Mike put together which is amazing but it doesn’t say anything about this. So do you think this is 31 out of 35 made?

The St. Paul reel is not really an Ocean City design reel. Its origins go back to Fox Reels, which Ocean City (merged) or bought out in or around 1934. The 31 / 35 number on the top of the box may have something to do with the amount of models Ocean City offered from the new Fox Division's line of saltwater, bait casting and fly reels. It does not represent a production number. This catalog cull is from the 1934 Ocean City catalog, the top and bottom of the page mentions the new Fox Division. In following catalogs OC omitted the Fox reference and simply incorporated the Fox reels into the Ocean City offerings. It would be interesting to note if later St. Paul model boxes still placed that #31 / 35 reference on the box. That may only be on the 1934 box. IMHO
#2 this Old Brigitine Box shows white lettering on the side plate of the reel. Does anyone have any existing examples of that? I’d really love to see it. Thanks.
In my opinion, the ID you see in the catalog was never done in production. I believe that was simply a catalog rendition.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food