Made Custom Tags for my Ocean City’s

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Biggamereels1988
Frequent Board Poster

Made Custom Tags for my Ocean City’s

Post by Biggamereels1988 »

I’ve been collecting these Ocean City reels and seeing the tags on old auctions made me want some for the reels I have. Since they are specific to the reels, finding them will be near impossible so I spent about 5 hours making a template for any reel I need in the future. Keep in mind these are just for my personal collection and in the future when I decide to let them go, it’ll be stated they are reproductions. Take a look..

What’s your stance on reproductions?
Biggamereels1988
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Made Custom Tags for my Ocean City’s

I just placed information from one of the catalogs.
Biggamereels1988
Frequent Board Poster

I’m also in the process of reproducing a color updated version of the old catalogs. I’ll be making 2 versions of the catalogs. 1 originally with the original illustrations in color and a new version with photos of the reels from collectors.

Here is the First Page I’ve done of Catalog 35.

m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

That is an interesting item. You have your work cut out for you though. There are many Ocean City models.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Fun project. Cool display cards they could make, like museums produce for their displays. I can see “reprints”, esp catalogs, useful for the info they contain as well that might not be readily available otherwise.
Biggamereels1988 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:14 am What’s your stance on reproductions?
The one thing lacking in such a thing though, is the… authenticity, charm, that the originals possess.

I’ve wondered about our attraction to this… “venerable-ness”…. “authenticity”, for lack of better.

While in SE Asia, my wife and I were in a shop and saw a “beautiful” old rattan mat on the floor and told the proprietor we’d like to buy it. “Ah! I’ll be right back”. And she returned with a bright shiny new one. “Oh, no. We’d like that one, if you’d sell it to us.” “You want the old broken one?” Then she chuckled and said, “You must be American.”

I relate this not as a criticism of your cool project, but out of general curiosity over just what our special attraction to antiques is all about. I guess this is what comes up when I think about “reproductions”.
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I understand the need for authenticity, but not in this case. There is no attempt here at being authentic because these tags are new. They are not reasonable facsimiles of an old type of hang tag, they are simply new informational tags. If these were copies, I would see a problem, but because they are a creation of a tag that never existed, I see no problem here.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Oh yes, agreed. I see no foul here, Just to be clear, my comment about antiquities was in response to the question:
Biggamereels1988 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:14 am What’s your stance on reproductions?
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Biggamereels1988
Frequent Board Poster

Here are the images I designed so you can make your own. Use the font " Rockwell " and it'll look good. :D

Biggamereels1988
Frequent Board Poster

Now since I made the image from scratch. I can change every single color. If you think these are neat and want a specific color variation, just speak up. :D I think every reel I make one for will be a new color. :D

And I can't forget one for the ladies.