Montague 9/0 Abercrombie & Fitch reel with early drag

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Montague 9/0 Abercrombie & Fitch reel with early drag

Post by reeltackle »

How about this one folks -

Here is a 9/0 size reel made by Montague and marked "Abercrombie & Fitch Co, New York". The reel is built in the style of the very early Montague "Imperial" reels only in a larger 9/0 size measuring 5 inches in diameter and 3 inches across the spool. The reel is made of hard rubber and German silver and has a round "Star Drag" style drag adjuster, a freespool lever, and a pop-out anti-reverse button on its sculpted front side-plate. The rear side-plate is sculptured and has a sliding click button. This is the only example of a 9/0 Montague I have ever seen ... or ... that I can remember seeing. Has anyone else come across one or know if they were ever cataloged?

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Montague 9/0 Abercrombie & Fitch reel with early drag

Post by Jay White »

It sure would look good with the 6/0 you sold me years ago. Let me know!
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Pretty cool Ed!
-Chris R.
sea ghost
Frequent Board Poster

Post by sea ghost »

Ed,

How would you control a large hard running fish on this reel?

Does the handle work like a rabbeth drag handle?

Cghost
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

....That’s the same reel I sold to Rufus about 20* years ago! Where’s the original purple box l sold it in? It came out of an estate in Connecticut....
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Oops I’ve also owned/sold a 12-0 size tuna/tarpon reel that’s pretty much a plain/Jane style reel made by Montaque! Fortunately it went back to where it belongs among a serious Montaque collection!
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BILL HOERTER »

Yes, Ed I have one and it was in my Montague Tarpon and Tuna reel with drag handles display at the FATC St Agustine show. You must not have seen my display? When I found this reel I thought how ironic it was that Montague had been making their Tarpon and Tuna reels for 25 years without a drag other than the leather thumber and they finally made a drag handle after all those years.
I have seen a couple more of these reels, Tony Florida had one at the FATC Daytona show about 5 years ago. The drag handle works like a Rabbeth handle but a lot more complicated based on John Elder's observations when working on my reel years ago. Years before finding my reel I saw this reel in an A&F catalog it was not in the reel section but it was on the last page in the catalog. I thought I made a copy but I can't find it. Getting old keeps getting in the way.
BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BILL HOERTER »

Sorry Ed but no I don't have this reel in the big as your head size. The one I have and the ones I have seen are around 5/0 - 6/0 size. Bill
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Cghost - I imagine the reel either had a leather thumb drag or the angler wore gloves.

Nick - Same reel. Looking for the box..............

Bill - I saw your reel in St. Augustine only it was smaller. I have seen them in the 4/0 and the 6/0 size but this is the only 9/0 size I have ever encountered. I believe the next step for Montague was to put a drag on this reel and call it the Imperial.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.