reel identity

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
cohoclyde40
Big ORCA Fan

reel identity

Post by cohoclyde40 »

ran across two older spinning reels, was unable to get pictures. 2 series size with no identifying marks or numbers that I could find. Both identical except one had pickup finger only and the other was a full bail but missing the bail wire itself. Both are operable. Unusual as case covers are clear and internal parts are visible. Anyone familiar with these guys?
Thanks,
CohoClyde
photos added
Last edited by cohoclyde40 on Thu May 02, 2024 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: reel identity

Post by kyreels »

Coho,

Clear cases were often use to demonstrate features of the reel. They could be sales samples or demonstrator models. It is impossible to identify a reel without markings unless you post a photo. See the photo posting instructions on this site forum. viewtopic.php?t=15596
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Both identical except one had pickup finger only and the other was a full bail but missing the bail wire itself.
Lots of companies produced manual finger pickup and automatic bail style reels at the same time, especially after 1954 when the Hardy patent expired. They could be from one of many manufacturers, some of which also sold PUM (manual line pickup) field conversion kits. A lot of companies from that era also had salesman samples which had clear side plates to show how the internal mechanics and gearing work. The only way to know their maker without any identity markings would be with photos.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
cohoclyde40
Big ORCA Fan

Post by cohoclyde40 »

Thanks for your responses! I now have some photos which I will attempt to attach.