Winter tales

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Winter tales

Post by Reel Geezer »

For all the stories of winter warming we sure have been getting a lot of cold weather and snow. On Tuesday 1/29, we had about 6" of snow, which produced some interesting tales out by my bird feeders and in our pasture. Fresh snow is one of the great pleasures of life - turning everything clean and pure.
The quail had already checked out the feeders when Bert and I went out to fill them. This photo shows the SE corner of our pasture where it butts against our berry patch. I created a brush pile in the corner to give the quail and songbirds a chance against the hawks that prowl the area. The quail have created a path to and from the brush. California Valley Quail walk almost everywhere, except when escaping
We have a herd of mule deer that live on the USFWS refuge across the road in front, and some of them travel through our yard almost every night. The snow revealed that they also apparently rest in our pasture when coming and going from the harvested corn field south of us.
I found four beds in the pasture. Last night five of them were bedded down across the road in the refuge like some kind of zoo animals, watching the evening traffic head for home at dusk.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Beautiful snow Geez. We have only had cold weather here in Nashville (six, eight, and nine degree mornings, highs in 20s, but no snow).

Careful on the bit about discouraging the hawks. They have to eat too and they would surely die if all they had was sunflower seeds. Audubon folks will be after you for discrimination!

Bad Bob