Steve, getting any sleep with the Phillies???

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Steve, getting any sleep with the Phillies???

Post by Teal »

I imagine the entire city of Philadelphia is pretty upset after the debacle of Game 5. I can't think of a valid reason to have started that game in the downpour...I imagine with the late nights, cold weather, and rain there might be a few tired and angry Fightin' Phils fans today...

-- Dr. Todd
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Todd, you woke me up to ask me that!? Most of us haven't recovered from the Saturday-->Sunday game yet. :x
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Uncle Bud did no one any favors by even playing that game. I just heard they've given up hope of playing today. I am praying the Phillies win, because if they don't, and lose because of a **** decision by Selig, Philadelphia will be a sea of angry people.

I'm pulling for you!

-- Dr. Todd
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

...Philadelphia will be a sea of angry people.
Judging by the murder rate (somewhere above 27 per 100,000 people), it already is. A loss in the WS would just produce higher waves. But it's hard to predict if riots following a loss would be any worse than riots after a win.
P.S. It might be safer to concentrate on Penn State than on the Phillies.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Which, by the way, I forget to acknowledge. Joe Pa put the wood to the Buckeyes, and good for them. I'd love to see Penn State in the national championship, and thankfully they kept OSU from being humiliated again in the national championship.

-- Dr. Todd
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Well, Steve, that was exciting. Congrats to the Phillies for carrying the National League banner (all that BS about the A.L. being dominant didn't carry much water come October rains, it appears).

Is there any city left this morning?

-- Dr. Todd
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Yo Todd, you woke me up again. Can't see the city from here, but celebrations seem restrained: one car on fire, one overturned. A crowd broke into a luggage store [presumably after a cop told the crowd to "get a grip"]. City-wide gunshots appear to have been harmless, except for one guy who was shot "multiple times" in Kensington [which happens almost daily].
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Congrats to any Philly fans. Would hate to have been on the bottom of that celebration pile! Presumably it was the pitcher! Bad Bob
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Bob, better to have been at the bottom of the pile than here, even with Ryan Howard on top of you:
The celebration began to go out of control, particularly in Center City, where drunken revelers began to destroy public property and parked vehicles.

Monitoring the crowds from a bank of video screens at the Spring Garden Street command post, police commanders quickly dispatched several buses of officers in riot gear. Supported by state police mounted and aerial units, the reinforcements moved into Broad Street, breaking up the crowd and restoring order.

After the revelers had gone home, bottles and broken glass covered the street, newspapers blew in the wind, and some fires still smoldered. Several cars were turned over, and more yawned with shattered windshields.

"It looked like Beirut," Ross said. "If you looked at the street, you would have thought all the windows were broken out."
"Vandalism is in the eye of the beholder" quote of the day:
Across Broad Street, a crew from Northeast Philadelphia-based Eureka Metal & Glass Services Inc. repaired Commerce Bank's broken windows.

Glazier Jeff Tuffner shrugged. "What are you going to do? People got out of control. It's the alcohol," he said.

"It's a shame. But at the same time, it's good for business," said Tuffner, wearing a Phillies cap.
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

Moral Relativism's finest hour!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Followup

Post by Steve »

Wow, feel the love! Can't remember ever seeing a crowd like the one at the Phillies parade yesterday. The route was about 5 miles down 6-lane-wide Broad St., and the crowd jammed the whole route, barely clearing a lane for each parade truck as it crawled by. The side streets were jammed with phans, too. It looked like the team was overwhelmed by the outpouring of the loving pheelings from the phans. And nary a burning car in sight! As Robyn indicated, it was relatively moral.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Relatively moral, these days, is a big victory indeed. Congrats! Now, as a newly annointed Iggles fan, I am looking for a twofer this year.

-- Dr. Todd