To Jason

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

To Jason

Post by RAM »

If the HIGH temp in Fairbanks Sunday really was -46 degrees as predicted on the Weather Channel all is well with the world. Nothing to fear but freezing to death!
Bad Bob
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

That's it for global warming ! Maybe algore will leave us alone now. ED
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

I can't be certain on this but the other night I was Walking around trying to find my way home around 3 in the morning, in a blinding snow storm and I'm pretty sure I saw a polar bear cross the road down here in wisconsin. :D
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Usually when I am walking home blindly at 3 o'clock in the morning I see elephants ... pink ones! :shock:

Dave "O"
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Well I'm sure it was either a polar bear or the abominable snow man. Either way I'm glad it didn't attack. The only thing I had for defense was a 26" frozen pike. :D

Jason, what do you do to your car to make it start when its that cold?
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

I heard a story once about a new officer stationed in Alaska. He was told to drive a few miles away to a post. Before he left he was ordered to drive slowly with no sudden movements.

The young officer decided the experienced personnel were just having him be cautious for the road conditions. It wasn't until he made a sharp turn into the post when he learned it was to get the tires warmed up. When he turned into the post both front tires came off their rims!

Don't know if that is a true story or not but I enjoyed hearing it.

What do you think BB could it be so?

Dave "O"
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

Thanks for the encouraging words Bob.

I've never heard of tires coming off of the rims but air pressure can be a problem. Some people put nitrogen in the tires because the pressure stays more constant. Where else does the temperature fluctuate 150 degrees between winter and summer?
I went to town on Saturday while it was -50 and my tires had flat spots frozen into them. It takes a few miles to get them softened up and back in the round.

Cold weather is pretty hard on cars. The trick is to keep the battery and oil warm. Mine has a freeze plug type block heater, oil pan heater, transmission heater, and a battery blanket all tied together with a 110 plug sticking out from the hood. If your car sits for more than a couple hours, you better plug it in. If you dont have access to electricity, you can use a propane weed burner and piece of stovepipe to direct heat under the car till the oil starts flowing.