Wierd Weather

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Wierd Weather

Post by RAM »

Colder today in Nashville (18 degrees at 3:00 PM) than Fairbanks (36 degrees predicted at 3:00PM)
Tonight's low in Nashville predicted to be zero to 5 above, Fairbanks 12 above

Bad (shivering in the "Sunny South", also home of Al Gore who keeps a real low profile when bitter cold sets in and is probably at his place in Southern CA) Bob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, BB, we are in misery here in SoCal, as well. Just when Old Man Winter had set in and the night-time temps were plummeting into the 40s and 50s so we got to light the fireplaces, we had to shut the dampers again because of these darn 80 degree temps. Global Warming must be following Al around :D

Deke
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

This seems to happen a couple times per year, a warm air or high pressure system called a "Chinook" comes north from the pacific and pushes cold air to the east or southeast. I guess it went further south than normal. You guys are getting all the cold air that hovered here for the past couple weeks. Too bad for you, but I've enjoyed the 80 degree increase.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Global Warming must be following Al around
Al is nowhere in sight, but temps here in SE Pa. are supposed to rise into the double digits today.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

-17 this morning on my way to work here in Wisconsin. My car was not very happy with me when I started it up!
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

We have been below zero around the clock since monday. I noticed -26 this morning. The automobiles are not very fond of the weather. The suspension is very stiff and the seat feels like piece of wood. I refer to my truck as the lumber wagon during the cold weather. Our local weather forecasters always note that when it is cold here, it is warm in Alaska. As Jason had mentioned. We usually have to deal with this situation a few times a year. Usually each wave of cold is less severe. On a positive note it is supposed to climb above zero today and possibly into the low 30's next week. We should have over 2 ft. of ice on the local lakes. I had 20" last weekend.

Don
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

It was +50 here today! It felt great to wear a short sleeve shirt and no jacket.

Steve- I'm not going to need that book this weekend.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Jason - How many mkinutes of daylight do you have this time of year? It gives new meaning to the expression "night owl".
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

The arctic circle is the latitude where no sunrise occurs on the winter solstice. I'm about 150 miles south of there. The shortest day still has about 3 1/2 hours of daylight here. You get about an hour of usable light before and after the technical sunrise/sunset. That usable light is why we appear to have 24 hours of daylight in the summer, but not 24 hours of darkness in the winter. Now the sun rises about 10 degrees in the southern sky and shortly after disappears. The solstice has passed and we are gaining 5-6 minutes of light everyday.