New York Hardware Trading Co. Reel ....

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

New York Hardware Trading Co. Reel ....

Post by reelsmith. »

The marking on the bottom of the foot is:

Black Diamond Special
250 YDS.
New York Hardware Trading Co.
Los Angeles - Pasadena

I'll try to explain some of the features of this reel:

1. When the click button on the back is disengaged the spool rotates silently in either direction.

2. When the click button on the back is engaged the spool clicks in both directions, but the handle remains stationary (free spool).

3. When free spooling and with the handle stationary, the brass disc in the center of the handle rotates.

4. When the bowling-pin shaped lever on the font plate is in the down position (fifth picture) the reel free-spools regardless of the position of the click button on the back.

5. When the arm under the tiny wire falls into the low spot on the handle (first picture), the handle is anti-reverse.

What I am not sure of is what the little tab on the back of the handle is supposed to do. When turning the handle that tab just misses the disc that holds the anti-reverse arm (fourth picture). Also note the position of this tab is adjustable (note the slot in the handle).

I also can't figure out what the steps on the handle (third and sixth pictures) are for. They look purposeful, but their purpose is a mystery to me.

As for the little piece of wire over the anti-reverse lever, as far as I can tell it is just there to keep the lever from falling back wards and coming disengaged.

So, what do you know about this reel? It sort of has a Penn look about it. Is it a modified Penn? Who was "New York Hardware Trading Co."?

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend. Since its not a fly reel, I am at a complete loss.

Dean.
Last edited by reelsmith. on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Hi Dean,

I have that exact reel and have seen several others, all identical to yours except that none of them have that handle. I think it is an add-on.

The reel is (I believe) an Ocean City and NYHTCo. was a big L.A.-based hardware firm that sold a lot of surf tackle from the 1920s to the 1970s.

Fascinating handle.

-- Dr. Todd
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Well, according to the time stamps it took you a whopping five minutes to respond. You are slacking off Dr. Todd. :wink:

So, is the one you have the same as an Ocean City reel, but with NYHTCo. markings? Or, does it differ in some way? Is yours free-spool and anti-reverse?

While the handle on mine is very well done, I of course wonder if it is a non-factory add on home-brewed by a fisherman/machinist.

Dean.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Hi Dean,

Sorry it took so long.

I'll try to dig out mine and see if I can take a photo.

I have two -- the Black Diamond and the Black Diamond Jr. -- and they are both identically marked as yours is.

You know, if occurs to me that handle looks very Kovalovsky-esque. I think there's one very much like it in the Kovalovsky book from Bob Douglas and Larry Lauve. In it, Oscar talks about NYHTCo...maybe he was playing around?

A thought...

-- Dr. Todd
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Teal wrote: You know, if occurs to me that handle looks very Kovalovsky-esque. I think there's one very much like it in the Kovalovsky book from Bob Douglas and Larry Lauve. In it, Oscar talks about NYHTCo...maybe he was playing around?
Now how cool would that be ?!

Thanks for the help.

Dean.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Oscar talks about NYHTCo...maybe he was playing around?
It's an Ocean City-made reel. The crank/drag?/clutch add-on is probably an OK project for a machine-shop class or a BSA merit badge.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

You know, the three holes in the brass piece looks aaaawfully familiar - kinda like the ones on my 14/0 that John E took apart a little while back. He figured out enough to make a three-pin tool to unscrew a cover over the brake mechanism, which is what it looks like here.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Steve wrote:The crank/drag?/clutch add-on is probably an OK project for a machine-shop class or a BSA merit badge.
Having been a Scout (Life) I don't remember merit badges in machining or reel design. :lol:

But then again, that was a very long time ago. My troop invented fire.

I'd put the add-on at a couple of steps above machine shop class ...or at the very least, an advanced class.

Dean.