Aerial ...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Aerial ...

Post by reelsmith. »

Can someone give me an idea of age and value on this one. Diameter is 3".

Thanks!

Dean.

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif?719 ... erial1.jpg

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif?719 ... erial2.jpg
Stefan Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stefan Duma »

Hi Dean this reel was made from about 1920 to 1939. The problem is that the original finish is dark and this reel looks like it has had been attacked with wire wool taking all the original finish off. They sell in this country (England) from £200 upwards. They frequently appear on eBay. Somewhere in my collection I have one with all the finish on it and with horn handles rather than the xylonite ones on the example you have. I will try and dig it out.

Regards

Stefan Duma
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Post by SWIM JIG »

:?: What country was the reel made in and what is the idea of the springs? are they used for a dampinig or for extra strengh to the reel? Its a reel not seen in the states to often . your ohio Conection,Milt aka SWIM JIG
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Thank you.

Post by reelsmith. »

Thank you Stefan, I appreciate your help.

I can see the old finish on the inside of the reel and agree with your assessment. I am trying to help a friend with this reel, but he is misguided. He saw a "similar" one listed in a price book (I think he said it was called "Millers" and it was from the UK) for $1000.

I told him that either this was not the same reel or the price in the book was grossly exagerrated... but you know how it is when someone sees a value in a book!

Thanks again for your help.

Dean.

Ps

Milt, it is an Allcocks spinning reel from England.
Stefan Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Aerial

Post by Stefan Duma »

I hope that I will be able to answer both questions with this small history of the Aerial.
The reel was the idea of Henry Coxon of West Bridgeford Nottingham(six miles from my house). It was launched by Allcock in 1896 and was made of wood with an ebonite(hard rubber to you Americans) drum. J. W. Young made the reels for Allcock.
These reels are expensive the record auction price is £3,200 (approx$5,300) for a 2 3/4 inch model. Such is the level of interest that recent forgeries have come to light. The most desirable is the 3 spoke 3 inch, with four spoke next followed by the normal six spoke.
The Improved Coxon Aerial followed and this consisted of a brass liner let into the back of the wooden drum, the alloy Aerial followed. The model shown here has the BP line guard named after Baden Powell founder of the Boy Scouts and hero of the relief of Mafaking during the Boer War. He was also a prolific fisherman and designed the Prismatic Salmon fly for Hardy Bros.
The Aerial reel was made in Redditch for many years and with the outbreak of WWII the tools were sent to Birmingham for safe keeping. You guesed it the Germans bombed Birmingham and all the tooling was lost.
Not only the tooling for the model shown here but also for the Match Aerial which had only just been introduce in 1939, estimated production run 150. Consequently these reels now sell for about £2,000 ($3,500)
After the war the Aerial was re introduced and sold upto the 1960's. One model that causes confusion is the Aerial Match often miscatalogued by auction houses as the Match Aerial the difference is about £1,800 pounds. Many a time a drive of 200 miles plus only to find out they have miscatalogued it.
Such is the magic of these reels that modern copies are introduced every year and are quickly bought up as future collectibles.
The Allcock Aerialite made from bakerlite is very common and sell for less than $10.
The springs have two purposes first the method of retaining the drum is with a "U" shaped clip on a centrepin. The other spring is for a tension adjuster introduced in 1915 and invented by JW Young.

Regards

Stefan Duma