Disassembly of Coxe 25-2

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Dale Noll

Disassembly of Coxe 25-2

Post by Dale Noll »

Does the Handle side come apart? Is there a trick to take apart? I am familiar with the Bronson Cornet? Is the Coxe 25 similar?
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

COXE 25

Post by SWIM JIG »

:D 8) :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :type: Dale, its a simple way, LOOK at the tail plate, what looks like the bearing cap, pul this away from the tail plate and while its held out turn it towards the front of the reel , then pull that pin out and carfuly pull the handle side plate off the frame, when you have it off, look at the large sloted screw, remove it and you should find a new pawl under it for the level wind asembly. Next carefuly set aside the pinion gear, and then take off the handle, then take the ratchet assembly out of the resesed part of the head plate, clean up the clutch aseembly re oil and put it back together attach the handle and turn it back and forth to see if the dogs go in and out. oil the fiber spool drag ie. the other part sticking up in the head plate make certain with yoour fingers its free as so you can adj the drag. put pinon gear in place and make certain to put grease on the gear teeth. carfuly remove the tail plate use a thin feeler gage material if you have one, parts place sell them for a buck or so you only need one with a few blades. clean the click asembly and put greese on the click patrs, cresses the ratchet gear on the click side of the spool and place it back into the frame, take the pawl out see if its clean, also the worm, after its clean relube with LIGHT OIL ,and reasemblegrese the driven gear on the level wind, put the head plte on the reel using the long pin assembly to gude it, then tighten up the long pin until snug , your reel should be ready to use! Col. Milton Lorens aka SWIM JIG your Ohio Conection
Dale Noll

Disassembly of Coxe 25=2

Post by Dale Noll »

Milt.

I screwed the center rod back in and pushed lightly. With very little force, the Headplate popped out. Before that, I tried tapping after putting penetrating oil, but no movement. There is really no good place to tap. Don't think penetrating oil did anything, because I didn't wait for any penetration. Just put in the Rod, push lightly, and everything happened like you recommended.

Thanks for your help. Dale.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Disassembly of Coxe 25-2

Post by Paul Roberts »

Working on one now. Obviously not disassembled in some time. Plates were both difficult to remove. Had to lift and pry the tail-plate off. And actually ended up using a few cushioned hammer blows to pop the faceplate off. :shock: The pawl was a puzzle until I noticed the opening in the worm gear line-guard/shroud, that allows the pawl to drop out. The schematic available through the ORCA Reel Research page for the 10 & 15 describers LW disassembly. Onward ho! ...
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024