JC HIGGINS REELS

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
pinnacle
Big ORCA Fan

JC HIGGINS REELS

Post by pinnacle »

Can anyone help me out and tell me where I can find out some information out on JC HIGGINS REELS... :?: :?: [/b]
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Post by SWIM JIG »

:idea: J.C HIGGINS to my knowkedge never made a fishing reel, rod, guns , ammunition or anything except (MONEY On SALES) as for reels, they looked at several factors, in the begining it was Quality and Price, and a lot of reels were made by shakespere, Bronson, Pfluger, A few by ZEBCO, some by langly, also TRU TEMPER, Ocean city, and in later years by the JAPS! there are others and I dont have a compleate breakdown. However if it looks like a Shakespere, then it is one with only cosmetic changes, and the numbering, most all the internal parts interchange with exception of a few pawls, also the sideplates are made to a change. as for the name or #s that is rather easy for the mfg. to change, Most all the screws interchange, the leavel wind worm is the same pitch, omly the lenght is different, handles are generaly a different color however wher it fits on the manshaft its the same, Very few used the ( jewled bearing caps, however used the solid metal bearing caps, if you want to make it fancy, just exchange the caps for jewled ones. Some of the reels used plasticIE Nylon gears in their reels, also used in the mfgs. lower end reels, to upgrade just replace the gears with metal ones. Almost all of the reels have the same gear ratio as the manufactors reel has. To see the line you will need a SEARS cataloge or a reprint of one that is now sold at book stores. As for spinning reels its a bit more complicated as any mfg. from Shakespere to Olimypia and other smaler mfgs relyed not ony on sears , but Mongomery Ward, May company, Pennys,even one gunmaker that offered tackle in the 50s to the 60s. As you have inquired , why not join ORCA if not already a member and do some research on this subject, we all would enjoy and would help all of us to be able to define the differance, Col. Milton Lorens aka SWIM JIG