SURVEY! LET US HEAR FROM YOU!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
wadefish
Big ORCA Fan

Re: SURVEY! LET US HEAR FROM YOU!

Post by wadefish »

Recently joined the forum.

Long-time fisherman... Texas gulf coast in my youth, then the great Northwest, saltwater and freshwater... so, very familiar with more modern tackle... Ambassadeur, Daiwa, and so on. Have made a lot of my own rods.

But recently inherited a number of vintage rods and reels from a longtime neighbor in the northwest... Pflueger, Medalist, Coronet, Penn, Langley, Heddon (reels), Shakespeare, Heddon, Eagle, maybe others (rods).

Once I get things sorted, I'm sure I'll have questions, and will be posting pics.

Most everything is pristine. I don't think any of it has been fished. I've only come across one reel so far (a Pflueger rocket baitcaster) that needs cleaning. I'll be interested to figure out ages and rarity of some of this stuff. It's going to be fun!

I'd love to go catch a bass on one of these little Coronets. They're so cool. Would have to get any of them near saltwater, though. They're all so clean...

The rods are nice as well. I love the slow action of old fiberglass blanks. The metal ferrules are the only downside on these rods. Not sure I'd actually fish any of them, though. Not sure what happens to fiberglass after so long.

Pics and more info and questions to come...
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Not sure I'd actually fish any of them, though. Not sure what happens to fiberglass after so long.
I believe fiberglass is a very inert material once all is cured. Not much happens to it, in terms of degrading, unless it was bad in the first place. You certainly could fish the old rods.

With all that gear, it sounds like you have an instant hobby.
eppy55
Big ORCA Fan

Post by eppy55 »

Hi all, My collection is small and quite the mish mash of reels. I have old levelwinds and baitcasters, I have spincasters and also spinning reels of which these are my preference. They are all freshwater and mostly in fishing condition. My spinning reel collection consists at present of 5 Mitchells, 1 Hardy Altex no 2 mark V, 1 Imperial model 711, 1 Ambidex casting reel, 1 Rola Intrepid, 1 Dymar switch a line, and a South Bend Gladding 870. These are all on display in my little fishing room ( it really is little) along with all the rest, collectables and my everyday fishing equipment. My baitcasters are Greatlakes, Bronson, Southbend and an unknown at this point in time. The spincasters are Zebco, Pflueger, Daiwa and Ryobi. What really is fascinating is that my every day fishing rods and reels total more than my collection,.....How did that happen?
Your friend, Trevor Calhoun.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

What really is fascinating is that my every day fishing rods and reels total more than my collection,.....How did that happen?
Easy answer, you first love is fishing and collecting comes in second. Nothing wrong with that. Real fishing is what collecting is based on, so actually your stuff makes very good sense.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

How did this happen you say?? Just like this. Began with one reel. Now have over 700 reels probably a hundred rods. It's contagious. Allow plenty of space you will need it.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Hi John Taylor here I am new to the club but have been watching the forum for a few years. I am also kind of new to reel and rod collecting around the last 10 years. I love all kinds of big game rods and reels new and old but I guess the cradle reels are my favorites !!! As of now I only have the Ocean City and the Nep-Tuna cradles but I have quite a few from big to small. I also really like the big game rods. I have a few Motague bamboo rods but I have a lot of fiberglass brand name big game rods from 60s, 70s, and up to new. Age isn't a deal breaker to me !!!

I really enjoy the forum / reel talk / Ebay section and for sale or trade sections of the forum and have also been in touch with some very knowledgeable people from the ORCA site !!! Keep up the good work !!

I also love Cod, Haddock, Pollock and Tuna fishing off New England Coast !! Me and my girlfriend go often mostly out of Seabrook NH. and fish Jeffery's Ledge. Unfortunately you can't keep Cod now due to regulations but hopefully they will be on the come back !!!
Thanks to all ! John Taylor
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Welcome aboard John!

I am a newer member myself with similar interests (early big game reel development, saltwater, etc..).

There are some very knowledgeable members here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and share findings.. especially photos.

John
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Tightlines666 wrote:Welcome aboard John!

I am a newer member myself with similar interests (early big game reel development, saltwater, etc..).

There are some very knowledgeable members here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and share findings.. especially photos.

John
I agree pictures say it better !! Thanks John ! John
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

am a newer member myself with similar interests (early big game reel development, saltwater, etc..).

John
Hello John T., glad to see a saltwater guy joining in.
redfish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by redfish »

I got back into fishing a couple of years ago and reopened a tote box that had been in storage for 20+ years. In it was a Abu Ambassadeur 54 I had bought in the late '70s, some Shakespeare Ambidex reels, and a Mitchell 900. Also a Daiwa Mini-mite and Millionaire bait caster which I never used and plan to sell.

Anyway, I got interested in spinners from the '60s and '70s, did some research, and since then have bought a number of Mitchells, DAM Quicks, and a Cardinal 55 to go along with the reels I already had.

I'd like to eventually get an excellent Penn 716 Greenie to go along with the above and then....

Quit Buying! :D
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Welcome, redfish! Nice to see another spin reel guy come on-board. :cool There's a lot of great information shared here.

Good luck on that "Quit Buying" thing, I think most of us have said that at least couple hundred times, or so. :mrgreen:
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

I mainly collect salt water reels, rods and gear I can fish with. I love going to the surf or out on a boat with vintage or antique equipment and doing battle with the finned denizens. I'm not an expert but when I have questions the experts always seem to step up and willingly share there info. Thank you!
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

What a great photo Mike!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Very interesting rig Mike. I have never seen anyone do up a Squidder with a modern Tiburon frame and then mount it on Split Cane surf rod. You are unique! :mrgreen:
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

Hi, I'm Keith Miller from Arden, NC and I'm a new member to ORCA on a suggestion from Jim Husband in Florida. We met through eBay. I've been an avid fishing nut since I was a kid with my grandparents, but it was dormant for a long time until my youngest son began to show an interest last year. We have a weekend lake house on Lake Greenwood in SC which produces some excellent bass and striper fishing, although I personally enjoy saltwater offshore fishing, primarily for pelagics.

My grandfather left me several nice old reels when he passed (old being a relative term as I read more here!), mostly Penns and Ocean City open saltwater reels. They lived just outside of Philly and I remember as a kid going to the NJ shore to deep sea fish with him. Pictured is a favorite set up of mine that was his, an Ocean City 922 Level Wind on a 4ft Angler pole - very unothodox for sure, but I've caught some nice fresh and saltwater fish on that setup and can cast it pretty well. It's gotten some odd looks on headboats in FLA until I've reeled in good catches with it, then the cameras come out! ha ha

I've started collecting older saltwater reels that I can use. I was an antique car dealer in a former life and hated "trailer queens" - cars that were never driven, just admired. I like things I can use, and these older reels are built so well that they just beg to be used, just like old cars. Money at my age with kids is always an issue, so I look for what I like the look of, is affordable and we can use. Currently I'm enjoying finding nice older Olympics, Penns and Ocean City reels. I met Jim through eBay when I bought a really nice DS8 from him for my son for his birthday this March, and he has been a wealth of information.

The best part of all of this is the second picture - having my son gain a love of fishing is something he'll keep for a lifetime, and memories to boot! (Last weekend in Greenwood)

Just as a side note (which dawned on me later after reading this several days later), my moniker of "weekilt" is because I'm Scottish by birth. Yup, got married in my kilt, and wear it regularly, but never when fishing. Nowhere to put tackle! :roll:

Last edited by WeeKilt on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Great post Keith and welcome!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Welcome Keith. You've certainly come to the right place. The photo of your boy is what it's all about.
Mark
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Welcome Keith, nothing like taking a kid fishing. That is the best. I like taking special fishing rigs on Head Boats also. Always makes for fun conversations.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Welcome, Keith, glad you are here! That is one proud looking boy, great father-son memories, that's for sure!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

Wow. What a great response! I am so used to getting blasted on forums that I even hesitated to post last night. Man did I ever come to the right place! Thanks guys! You have made a newbie feel very welcome, and it is MUCH appreciated!

Ethan and I (that's my youngest) made a trip this morning over to Bass Pro in Sevierville, TN since we didn't go fishing this weekend. I don't need a fishing widow - we travel down to the lake house enough! LOL (My wife and other son have zero fishing interest other than eating the catch, which is my other passion - cooking.)There were some good deals, but I was disappointed that they didn't have any of the 1/4 zip $10 fleeces left. You couldn't buy them online even though they showed them, but we did find good deals on line and lures. Here are a couple of Ethan's other latest catches from last weekend on Greenwood, and one of mine. We typically catch and release unless it's really tasty looking or swallowed the hook. (I caught that bass on my 922!) Love the forum and support! Thanks!

big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Post by big hoss »

1. I collect Swedish made reels. Particularly those made before 1980 although I have a few of newer vintage.
2. Main interest - the reels made by Radius, Nordic and Victory - their historic links make them a study topic for me to pursue.
3. Victory / Heddon Heritage reels are another interest - need a Victory Heritage 45 if anyone has one to sell....I won't hold my breath waiting for seller.
4. Record and Ambassadeur reels also get a lot of shelf space - no spinning reels in my cabinets. I enjoy the Record fly reels especially.
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

Articles of interest....hmmm would good Blogs fit that category? Blogging on the WWW today is a huge attractant. Our Blogs are made up of reel news articles which we already get and non members cannot see. A good blog can and will draw people in and keep them coming back. Give it some thought.
Al Stover
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi John- I think I can combine my answers to your two questions into one.

I am a lure collector primarily, have been for many years! I originally began as a reel collector, but lures were more available (and cheaper!) so I was led in that direction. However, my interests still include rods, reels, and miscellaneous tackle!

I just can not pass up any item that "appeals" to me! I know that's vague, but that is the only limit I have, especially when talking about reels. I have a very modest collection of everything from one dollar Hendryx reels, through homemade reels (my "reel" favorite!), and even a couple of high enders. I just appreciate the mechanics and construction of them. They can be older or newer, and as far as condition is concerned- "If I like it, I'd rather have it in good condition, than not have it in Excellent condition".

I likely won't have a lot to contribute, especially about the technical stuff, but I'll toss out anything I think may be interesting. If you have any lure questions- I'd be happy to try and help there. I really enjoy just looking at all of your pics and reading your chit chat! Very nice bunch of people here and whew! you do know your stuff!

If the appropriate opportunity presents itself, I may get a little lengthy in responding. Someone said, "some writers report the details, others paint a story". I'm just one that likes to paint a lot, I guess. I like to share experiences and make that sharing get you as involved as I can. Hope you don't mind. Best---- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

I collect:
KOVALOVSKY
KLEIN
STEAD
HARDY BIG GAME
TUNA CLUB BRANDED OR STAMPED
ZANE GREY OR HEMINGWAY OWNED OR RELATED
VOME HOFE AND OTHER VINTAGE SALTWATER REELS 10/0 AND UP

PRE-1950's... and always on the hunt! THANKS
Daniel Zirilli
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I collect:
KOVALOVSKY
KLEIN
STEAD
HARDY BIG GAME
TUNA CLUB BRANDED OR STAMPED
ZANE GREY OR HEMINGWAY OWNED OR RELATED
VOME HOFE AND OTHER VINTAGE SALTWATER REELS 10/0 AND UP

PRE-1950's... and always on the hunt! THANKS
Daniel Zirilli
WOW!!! Think about the movie a search for a personalized, engraved Zane Grey 20/0 Kovalovsky would make. Better than Indiana Jones!
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food